Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

PROPOSED ELECTRICAL LEGISLATION

87 Replies

• New Question

PROPOSED ELECTRICAL LEGISLATION

Posted by John Peckham on Jan 17, 2020 1:07 pm

The government have produced draft regulations on the periodic inspection and testing of domestic installations.

It can be found here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2020/9780111191934

I have serious concerns with the proposed definition of "qualified" as it does not require anyone to have any qualifications whatsoever , so it does not do what it says on the tin. It perpetuates the current practice of any knuckle scraping half whit who does not know their amp from the elbow carrying out inspection and testing. Without setting out defined required qualifications it becomes unenforceable.

Unless an MP makes an objection as Secondary it will become law without debate. I have written to my recently Knighted MP this morning to explain my views on the proposed legislation and in particular the definition of "Qualified" that contains no requirement to have any qualifications. 

Unless the government gets any objections these Regulations will become law. Only an MP can get proposed secondary legislation changed.

You may wish to join me in writing to your MP? 

Re: PROPOSED ELECTRICAL LEGISLATION

Posted by Alcomax on Jan 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Who are you gonna call?                              211d02c3a3016d97ae340ce99aa7adcf-huge-co

Posted by Chris Pearson on Jan 26, 2020 11:08 pm

Here is my letter to my MP - hope it is not too late!
Attached files

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jan 26, 2020 11:12 pm

Later this year there is going to be all sorts of discussions on this forum and elsewhere about stupid coding of issues on EICRs, in reality we all know it is going to happen.

Andy Betteridge. 

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm

I have just had a conversation with a landlord about installing new storage heaters in a flat, the requirement for all tenanted homes to have a minimum energy performance certificate rating comes into force on the 1st April 2020 and without the new storage heaters it will be illegal for him to let the flat out.

So I know that flat requires fitting out with new storage heaters as well as requiring a full electrical inspection and test, followed by whatever repairs and upgrades it needs to get a satisfactory EICR.

In addition it really needs building work to add insulation, replace windows and so on. This is going to turn into void maintenance that costs well over five grand' with over three grand for the electrical contractor.

Andy B.

Posted by whjohnson on Jan 28, 2020 3:24 pm

Always follow the money - especially when new legislation is driven primarily by lobby groups or 'stakeholder's.
Nothing to do with enhanced electrical safety, just the money.

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jan 28, 2020 9:48 pm

There is no denying that there is a huge number of private rented houses and flats that need some significant upgrading that is long overdue. 

The next eighteen months is potentially going to be a busy time for builders, maintenance guys, plumbers, window and insulation installers as well as electricians.

I had a look at the Energy Performance Certificate online for that flat and it's not just new storage heaters it needs.

I have done a lot of work for this landlord over the last ten years and when we have tidied flats up I made a point of replacing all the lighting with LED. This flat was tidied up eighteen months ago, but someone else did the electrical work as I was too busy,  the landlord commented this morning that the flat did not even get five stars on the EPC for low energy lighting as the other electrician didn't swap the lighting to LED.

Five stars for low energy lighting is not hard to achieve,  but it didn't happen here.

The EPC gives the estimated electric bills for this one bed flat as three years as over £7500 and says it could potentially be brought down to £3500. The performance rating is about as bad as it gets.

So a major refurbishment with new storage heaters and a satisfactory EICR in the next eighteen months are required to be able rent the flat out legally.  Otherwise it has to stay empty or be sold to an owner occupier. 

Andy Betteridge 

Posted by Chris Pearson on Jan 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Sparkingchip:
There is no denying that there is a huge number of private rented houses and flats that need some significant upgrading that is long overdue. 

Isn't that exactly the point?

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm

It is, whether the landlords at the lower end of the market are on the ball is another matter.

Andy Betteridge 

Posted by Chris Pearson on Feb 4, 2020 6:17 pm

Chris Pearson:
Here is my letter to my MP - hope it is not too late!

I received a reply today.

"Dear Chris

Many thanks for your email and for sending through the attached document – please don’t worry about it being ‘lengthy and technical’!

I will write to the Minister to share your concerns direct, and I will write to you again when I receive a response.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me about this.

Kind regards,

Caroline"

Posted by davidwalker2 on Feb 6, 2020 7:52 pm

I sent a similar letter to my MP, Kwasi Kwateng, Minister of State for Business and Energy, and have just received his reply.  He says that the regulations were prepared following "extensive consultation"  and goes on to say:

"With regard to Para 3, section 4, my reading of the regulations is that EICRs will now specify if certain remedial work is necessary.  It will be up to the relevant qualified person undergoing the investigation to decide where and sometimes when this work will be necessary.  It will be up to the local housing authority decide (sic) if a private landlord is in breach of the duty this imposes, and not all the recommendations typically contained in an EICR will be classified as necessary remedial actions."

He also adds that he will pass the letter to the Minister for Housing, Communities and Local Government  for confirmation.

David

Posted by Sparkingchip on Feb 6, 2020 9:12 pm

Does the legislation actually say that?

Andy Betteridge 

Posted by mapj1 on Feb 6, 2020 9:32 pm

not yet, but maybe it will soon if we keep pointing it out.
After all  there is already
  a first errata.     
That cryptic ISBN13 number  ISBN-13: 978-1- 78561-170-4 is the same as the one in the regs by the way,
so now it is really referring to our friend  BS7671, just by the ISBN number...doh..
oh there is also
  a delay so they can have another round of meetings. 
someone or something is having an effect it seems.
regards Mike

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in