This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Unusual Earthing System

One of the Cahier Technique papers talked about an earthing system, which it described variously as cross between TT and TN-S or an 'impedance earthed TN-S' system, although I don't think either description is particularly accurate. Basically it suggests earthing the supply star point via an impedance, but then Earthing the consumer systems to the same electrode as the source:

66c3de7fa1842c6eefc0499bb3bad3a7-huge-notttnortn-s.png

As earth fault currents would be low, you'd need RCDs for ADS (just like a TT system), but the way the earthing is connected would seem to give a number of advantages over normal TT or TN systems. The most obvious perhaps is that exposed-conductive-parts remain at (or very close to) true Earth potential even during a L-PE fault - substantially reducing the risks of shock (even for the 5% of the population who aren't necessarily safe under normal ADS) - unlike a TN system where the point of the fault is likely to be at around half the line voltage, and in a TT system anything up to the full line voltage. It also less of an immediate issue if an RCD is a bit sticky or even fails to open altogether. They also claim less risk of damage or fire from L-PE faults than on TN systems - as the fault current is so much reduced.

So firstly what should this system be called? The impedance at the source is like an IT system - but the "T" would mean the consumer has their own earth electrode independent of the source's - which very specifically isn't the case here. Neither is the consumer's PE conductors directly connected to the system neutral which an "N" would usually indicate. As far as I know there isn't a letter to say the consumer's earth is connected directly to the supply's means of earthing (and not N) - maybe we could use "E" or "PE" for that - making it a IPE or IE system? I'm sure there are some better ideas out there.

My other thought was how would such an arrangement fair from the point of view of things like EMI or the effectiveness of SPDs - would it make any difference?

- Andy.
  • NER (neutral earthing resistors) are not popular in the UK on the LV side , as we like our supply neutral to be at or near earth potential.Especially with TNC-s?

With an NER installation you must treat the distribution neutral as if it may shoot up to single phase voltage relative to true earth, and also all phases as if any two may rise similarly to the phase-phase voltage.  During a fault in which one live of the 3 phases is earthed, this is what happens to the other wires. In effect the phase triangle of voltages stays the same size, or only flexes a bit, but you are now grounding the corner, rather than the star centre.

In practice, this is not normally an issue, except that EMC filters and any spark gaps etc connected L-PE and N-PE need to be rated accordingly.

It also provides a way of riding though certain types of single line fault with less damage occurring. Obviously a 2 or 3 phase fault is as bad as it ever was.

• In the British Isles, it is specifically banned by legislation for the LV systems in the Public Electricity Supply. It is widely used at 11kV and often at 33kV to reduce earth fault current, and therefore the cost of cables. At the higher distribution voltages, particularly on overhead networks, there is also impedance earthing using a Peterssen Coil. Here, the system can be stable while one phase is more or less earthed without excessive earth current. The issue is detection of a downed conductor, as it is important to know what the earth fault is. For this reason, the duration of the earth fault will be limited by the protection systems. 

Regards,

Alan.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    OK, having Kirchoff's this idea on paper with some current flow in a consumer side fault to earth, I think I've convinced myself that an RCD would work, but I've still got a nagging thought I may have missed something. Any thoughts?

Regards

BOD
  • It can have its advantages......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JWfM9qB6Uc

Z.
  • An RCD would work, as long as the resistor doesn’t have too high a value. In 11kV systems, a resistor of 6.35 ohms is often chosen, limiting the earth fault current to 1000A. 

Regards,

Alan.

• Zoomup:

It can have its advantages......

Z.

Is there sound to this video, I'm only getting subtitles?

F

• Farmboy:

Zoomup:

It can have its advantages......

Z.

Is there sound to this video, I'm only getting subtitles?

F

Yes Farmboy, there is sound on this video.

Z.

• OK, having Kirchoff's this idea on paper with some current flow in a consumer side fault to earth, I think I've convinced myself that an RCD would work, but I've still got a nagging thought I may have missed something.

The loop impedance would probably be similar to that in a TT system - so the RCD should operate in the same manner. I'm not sure if some RCBOs with a FE connection might get upset if they see N drifting significantly away from PE, but that problem is probably manageable even if it does happen.

During a fault in which one live of the 3 phases is earthed, this is what happens to the other wires. In effect the phase triangle of voltages stays the same size, or only flexes a bit, but you are now grounding the corner, rather than the star centre.

Agreed. Could that effect be the cause of the problem mentioned in Z.'s video of motors being killed by an open circuit resistor? Would say 400V rather than 230V between conductor and frame be enough to over-strain insulation to breaking point? Or it it more likely to be due to something like capacitive coupling from the HV side of the transformer?

- Andy.
  • Is this helpful Andy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k3IV04DiVU

Z.
  • It’s an IT system captain but not as we know it!