This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

BS 7288 rcd Sockets outlets and additional protection

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that BS7288 rcd Socket outlets were accidentally left out as of bs7671 as suitable for additional protection and are going to be in the update? Or perhaps provide a reason as why they have been omitted?

Thanks.
  • Officially I think we're still in the dark.

Some members of this Forum who I know are also on some of the committees involved seem to indicate that the decison to leave BS 7288 devices off the list was deliberate (and perhaps influenced by some poorly chosen words in BS 7288 itself).

However there have been some other credible reports that JPEL/64 intend to add BS 7288 onto the list in a future amendment - although it has been noted that they didn't take the opportunity to do so in the most recent amendment that's currently being processed - despite this issue being raised quite a while ago.

Some trade bodies have expressed the opinion that BS 7288 devices are suitable, but their use in a new installation should be recorded on the certificate as a devation from BS 7671.

So my personal suspicion is that they will likely appear in a future amendment of BS 7671 (possibly accompanied or preceeded by an corrigendum/amendment to BS 7288) - whether that amendment will place and limitations on the use of BS 7288 devices or which particular version of the standard they need to comply with, is as yet unknown.

- Andy,
  • If you look back through the titles, you will see that this subject has been covered in other threads recently.
  • I'm looking at using them to provide additional protection when replacing damaged standard socket outlets on circuits that do not have rcd protection, where the DB is obsolete and an rcd or rcbo cannot be sourced.

The circuit would have complied when installed and I can replace like for like but it is part of an ongoing drive on the campus to gradually upgrade all socket outlet circuits where students can plug in their own items, (where we have no control over the condition of said items), to give RCD protection. Be that via a rcd/rcbo module at the DB or bs7288 sockets.

The issue has arisen because the installer has suggested that they would not provide a MWC because the installed item is not deemed as providing additional protection under BS7671, and are not willing to log it as a deviation.

My concern is on what grounds have they been omitted, is there an issue with their effective operation ? Do the persons involved believe they are no longer fit for purpose ? Or is it just an error, and they have been left out by mistake ?

Thanks in advance.

• My concern is on what grounds have they been omitted, is there an issue with their effective operation ? Do the persons involved believe they are no longer fit for purpose ? Or is it just an error, and they have been left out by mistake ?

Doubts have certainly been aired about the suitability of BS 7288 devices - everything from their breaking capacity to contact gaps not necessarily being wide enough to provide isolation - to most damning of all, the statement in BS 7288 itself that upstream the circuit must itself be provided with additional protection.  On the other hand that requires belief that BS 7288 devices are inherently not suitable for their intended purpose - which takes a bit of swallowing.

I think your options for the moment might be:

1. Get your contractor to contact their trade body, who will likely advise them that BS 7288 devices are suitable and a deviation on the certificate is acceptable, or

2. Stick with ordinary sockets and an an RCCB in a separate enclosure next to the DB, or

3. Start replacing the DBs with modern ones that can take RCDs.

- Andy.
  • BS 7288 stipulates that SRCDs provide supplementary protection, but that additional protection must be provided upstream.

The installer is entitled to abide by the letter of BS 7671. Another contractor may take a different view.

I feel certain that there has been no error.

FWIW, my view is that your proposal is entirely sound even if it does not comply.
  • Thanks for the help everyone.

I have gone back to the contractor and requested they speak to their scheme provider and see what they come back with.

• I have installed several B.G. Safety R.C.D. 2 gang 13 Amp switched sockets. They are well made. The instructions that I can see say nothing about needing upstream R.C.D. protection. They are supplied by Luceco P.L.C. of Telford, England TF3 3BD. Technical help line number is 03300 249 279.

Z.