This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electricians Getting Paid.

A potential customer phoned me and asked for a quote. I said that it was a smallish job and did not necessitate a visit. I quoted my hourly rates on the phone, as the work involved fault finding.

I removed some very old and rain filled and corroded outside lights, supplied two new lights and installed them. Inspected the old M.E.M. wooden framed fuse box with porcelain fuse carriers, showed the customer a 5 Amp lighting fuse carrier with a 15 Amp piece of fuse wire fitted, explained the danger with that, disconnected an old corroded driveway short lamp post wired in T&E cable run in a plastic underground hose that was tripping off the one and only house R.C.D.  and replaced some damaged wiring accessories and rectified other faults. Tested the earthing and R.C.D.s and inspected the intake position etc. The customer made me lots of cups of tea and we got on well.

When I had finished I presented my invoice and the customer gave me a cheque.

An hour later when I got home he complained about being overcharged. We discussed the matter. He demanded a discount. I refused, and explained that he had not said anything about discounts when I was at his house.

In the morning I phoned him up and said that if he wasn't happy I could return and remove all of my materials, at his cost. He said that I would have to replace his old lights, but confirmed that his cheque will clear without  problem. He claimed that when I had quoted my rates initially on the phone I had said that the charges were for the day, and not the hour. He was wrong. I had quoted the hourly rate for the first hour and then the lower hourly rated for subsequent hours. He said that I must overcharge as I was immediately available to work for him, indicating that others would not employ me as I charged too much, and all other local electricians were not available for weeks.

But we soldier on. I hope that the cheque clears.

I must try to source one of  those radio operated devices that a certain forum member mentioned a few years back. It connected N to E when operated, and can be easily hidden. Or is that very naughty?

Z.

• Not only naughty but illegal.

There's an old contracts managers saying that a verbal instruction isn't worth the paper its not written on.

Just confirm all conversation in writing immediately afterwards.

regards,
  • Given your description of the installation, how many electricians do you think have worked at his home in the last forty years?

Andy B

• Sparkingchip:

Given your description of the installation, how many electricians do you think have worked at his home in the last forty years?

Andy B

Well Andy,

his old cheap electrician who left the 15 Amp fuse wire in the 5 Amp, fuse carrier for the lighting circuit, and sealed an external plastic adaptable box with stuffed in insulation tape, which fell out when I moved the wires had since "retired" I was told. The external lights were at least 20 years old. Perhaps others have a sixth sense about these type of customers. I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt initially. I have many older customers that have very poor old electrical installations that require work doing, and they are as good as gold. It is impossible to be able to detect the bad customers in advance. The many good ones compensate for the few bad ones.

Burn. So what is illegal in installing a radio interference suppressor?

Z.

• burn:

Not only naughty but illegal.

There's an old contracts managers saying that a verbal instruction isn't worth the paper its not written on.

Just confirm all conversation in writing immediately afterwards.

regards,

Burn, the written confirmation of a good job well done that pleased the customer was the cheque issued by the customer immediately I finished the job. At that time there was no complaint at all. The customer was all smiles. It was an hour or so later that he phoned and complained. So, he may have been a trickster. Some people are just out to get us, and even a written estimate will not ensure a trouble free job. It is illegal to stop a cheque under most circumstances, but even so, I have lost a County Court case in the past where a cheque was stopped by a less than honest customer.

Z.

• Or had one of his kids or someone else spoken him in the meantime?

Andy B

• Sparkingchip:

Or had one of his kids or someone else spoken him in the meantime?

Andy B

Yes, that is a possibility Andy. You may be right. A.N. Other may not be aware of our professional knowledge and experience. That is a hidden asset that others may not be aware of. It is not just a matter of the time on site. Just look at the hourly rate charged by accountants or solicitors for example. We pay for their knowledge and experience, hopefully.

Z.

• If you are working on circuits with traditional fuses, get the payment before you replace them. ?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    A potential customer phoned me and asked for a quote. I said that it was a smallish job and did not necessitate a visit. I quoted my hourly rates on the phone, as the work involved fault finding.

Well. after too many years at everyone's beck and call, I finally learned to say "no" but at first, it was like the scene where Kryten is being taught to lie about a banana!

I got there eventually and find life so much better now I can say "no". Plus thinking of the 80/20 Rule has helped get rid of the 20% of customers who gave me 80% of my troubles.

Try it.

Regards

BOD

• perspicacious:

Well. after too many years at everyone's beck and call, I finally learned to say "no" but at first, it was like the scene where Kryten is being taught to lie about a banana!

I got there eventually and find life so much better now I can say "no". Plus thinking of the 80/20 Rule has helped get rid of the 20% of customers who gave me 80% of my troubles.

One of my few successes at work was getting the reception staff to be able to say "no" without feeling that they were letting the customers down.

That's an interesting example of the Pareto principle. Normally, it's about effort and reward, but I can see that it also applies to hassle and loss. ?

• perspicacious:

Try it.

Regards

BOD

So what criteria determins the bad customers that will cause trouble for you? It is easy with hindsight to be wise. But how to be wise before the event intrigues me. I have had many good customers that live in rough houses and are apparently less than prime but paid up with no trouble.

Z.