This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

E.V.s queuing for a charge up.

A picture speaks a thousand words....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7755753/Chaos-California-Tesla-drivers-stranded-hours-half-mile-long-line-charge.html

Z.
  • Possibly evidence that the charging infrastructure hasn't quite caught up with the surge in EV sales but mainly shows poor trip planning.

It's no different in my opinion to queues at the pump on busy holiday weekends etc. The key difference being you can always carry a jerry can of fuel but you can't do the same in an EV.

Think ahead; don't wait until you really need power/fuel but perhaps adopt a 'little and often' approach for these busier days.

What the article really is, is a thinly veiled attempt at a propaganda piece against EVs.

P
  • Presumably the local megapack battery was still flat and the local HV lines not up to charging more than a few at once. Charging 40 cars at once is quite a challenge for an all- electric system.

It is a very telling detail that they need to install the megpack batteries as a matter of course at the larger sites  to smooth peaks in demand.
  • I was driving up the M1 in my van and the speed limit had been dropped to sixty to “protect the environment”, it did go through my mind that the driver of the Tesla I was following was have been a bit annoyed.

Andy B.

• Sparkingchip:

I was driving up the M1 in my van and the speed limit had been dropped to sixty to “protect the environment”, it did go through my mind that the driver of the Tesla I was following was have been a bit annoyed.

Yes but ...

There is an optimum efficiency for petrol engined vehicles, which may or may not be at 60 mph, but probably isn't far off.

Given that wind resistance is proportional to the third power of speed, a reduction of speed is likely to result in greater economy.

I like to go as fast as I can, subject to my vehicle's maximum speed and the legal limit, but there reaches a point where greater speed and, therefore, fuel consumption (liquid or electrical) leads to a need to refuel, which negates the benefits of a higher speed.

So if the Tesla had been able to go faster, there would still have been the question of time spent refuelling, and if as mentioned at the beginning, that was a real bottleneck, it would have been counter-productive.

• It just goes to show what humaity has become. Electric or other folk enjoy queing in the mad stampede for sales a a few bob off (even false sales such as the new fangled Black Friday/Cyber Monday fiasco) . All manner of human decency and fair play goes out of the window and a nasty herd mentallity takes over. Queing and fighting, verbally or physically. A few years back I attended a few church jumble sales, older woman queing waiting for the premises to open, you could practically hear and feel them humming with excitement. One the door was opened the Atilla the Hun could not match them. Like a bloomin war zone. I stood at the back in amazement and out of harms way, I didn`t want mee legs broke!

Any normal weeken or bank holiday we used to have a day out, say a picnic, seaside or park or a walk in the country etc. Nowadays it`s the supermarket or the Sheds and the bargains and the fighting - Perverts to my way of thinking. Don`t get me started on driving standards by the 75+ % of drivers compared to 30 or 40 yrs ago.

Seems to me we still had some back then but only around 10%ish

• During one of the petrol shortages, before people generally had diesel cars and petrol and diesel were served from different pumps, there was a queue way back up the road from the petrol pumps at a local garage, so I drove my van in through the exit and straight up to the diesel pump to fill up.

I went in to pay and the guy who owned the filling station said to me that I was very brave and was risking a lynching. He said the people in the petrol cars were looking at me with hatred in their eyes and although I had done nothing wrong the people who had been in paying had all said I should have queued up with the petrol car drivers to get to the unused diesel pump.

Sometimes you feel like you could not make it up.

Andy Betteridge
  • I can just envisage that. Nice one Andy.

I have come across the same twisted logic at our local lttle Tesco shop on the manned tills versus the one self scan.

Some folk are just Stark Raving Barmy

• ebee:

I can just envisage that. Nice one Andy.

I have come across the same twisted logic at our local lttle Tesco shop on the manned tills versus the one self scan.

Some folk are just Stark Raving Barmy

I refuse to use the robot auto checkouts. I prefer to support the human workers and support their jobs. I will not allow a frinkin robot voice to tell me where to put my shopping bag.  GGRRrrr. Half the time the supermarket check out people have to desert me to assist the robot check out customers that have problems though. Great patience is needed these days.

Z.

• Years ago I went into a B&Q store and loaded up timber, plaster board, plaster and the odds and ends needed to construct a stud partition wall.

I dragged it to the check and was told they were closing it it and I would have to use the self service tills, I said some of the stuff didn’t have barcodes on, but they said I still had to use the self service till.

When I placed around the tenth length of CLS timber studding onto the bagging area a member of staff came running over and asked “What the hell do you think you are doing?”, I replied following the instructions from the till.

The guy then got stroppier as I pointed out I had taken to a till, but had been turned away,, as he was getting stroppy I stepped back and said “”Just do what I asked in the first place and ring it though for me or you can go and put it back on the racks “, by this point all the other customers were laughing at the B&Q staff muttering comments like what did they expect, as they could all see the the stuff on the trolley was never going to fit in the bagging area.

I knocked the idea of popping into B&Q for stuff on the head years ago, despite their tie up with NAPIT that was supposed to give me better discounts.

Andy B.

• Zoomup:

I refuse to use the robot auto checkouts. I prefer to support the human workers and support their jobs. I will not allow a frinkin robot voice to tell me where to put my shopping bag.  GGRRrrr. Half the time the supermarket check out people have to desert me to assist the robot check out customers that have problems though. Great patience is needed these days.

I just want to get in and out as quickly as possible, which usually means self-service. The only disadvantage is age verification when I buy booze.

I seldom have to queue for the self-service tills at my local Tesco, but there is often a queue for the manned till. If you are buying baccy or spirits, you have no choice