This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Shocked Child. But How?

Waddayou reckon happened here then?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7747715/Mother-shares-shock-warning-little-girl-burnt-iPhone-charger.html

Z.
  • It must have been written by an Australian reporter rather than a Daily Mail reporter here in the UK as it explains clearly what happened.

The kiddie tried to plug the phone end of the charger lead into a multi-way power strip socket.

Andy B.

• Sparkingchip:

It must have been written by an Australian reporter rather than a Daily Mail reporter here in the UK as it explains clearly what happened.

The kiddie tried to plug the phone end of the charger lead into a multi-way power strip socket.

Andy B.

So, don't the Australian sockets have shutters?

Z.

• Most countries' outlets don't have shutters.

• Oz mains plug (10A variant - higher current is rare domestically but has longer slots)
    1a342aca9dd3da9b24cd3ed48c7f09aa-huge-ozplug.png

- higher slots at a push with some manufacturing tolerance and a bit of force may well take the plug designed to fit one of these

d65a2ba4d2b2f80ae49db053852b0aaf-huge-microusb.png

common connector on modern phones, 5 pins to allow sensing so phone can be a slave when connected to a PC for uploading pics, and a master when connected to a USB drive or other peripheral.

• I wired a few aussie plugs for my Daughter whilst in Oz with her. I must admit I appreciate our own beloved BS 1363 they seem more robust than Oz and European set ups.

• gkenyon:

Most countries' outlets don't have shutters.

Just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo backward.

Z.

• Looks like an Apple lightning connector would fit in an Aussie socket :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector) suggests dimensions are 6.7 mm by 1.5 mm.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Australian/New_Zealand_standard_AS/NZS_3112_(Type_I),_used_in_Australasia suggests that The Australian plug pins are 6.5 by 1.6 mm,

0.2 mm clearance could well exist in the socket holes and even if not a little force would probably do it. A surprisingly good fit so I'd be surprised if this is the only time this happens.

I'm very grateful for BS1363. I suppose those dreadful socket covers are appropriate in most countries.

• i presume the other end of the charger was plugged in so the micro USB or apple connector body was earthed as it got posted in the live slot of the adjacent socket, - there would not be the  flash bang event otherwise, as the current though the child would be limited by the body resistance. (and then you'd expect the ohmic dissipation to lead to entry and exit damage to the skin.)
  • My reading of this is it is more likely to have been a flash burn, rather than an actual elevtric shock caused by current passing through the body - hence the large black mark and absence of exit evidence.

• jbrameld:

My reading of this is it is more likely to have been a flash burn, rather than an actual elevtric shock caused by current passing through the body - hence the large black mark and absence of exit evidence.

Quite possibly, but an electrical burn depends upon current density. Old-fashioned single pole diathermy (surgeons for the use of) uses a pair of forceps or other pointy instrument at the cutting/sealing end and a large pad at the other.

Similarly, whilst defibrillators may leave a red mark, they do not burn the skin.