This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

RCD socket outlet.

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hi all,
Any comments on this one most welcome!
A customer wants me to replace an existing one gang 13 amp socket outlet with a double.
The problem is that there's no rcd protection there, so i'm thinking that as I am in effect adding a socket outlet I should fit an rcd protected one?
If I were replacing like for like it wouldn't bother me at all but the fact it's going to be a double makes me think an rcd protected one is the thing to do, just seems a bit ott to fit one rcd protected socket when there are probably 20 others that aren't rcd'd!
  • I wouldn`t wonder too much about it Dave. You are replacing a point with another point. A twin or a single are both still one point.

So non RCD is ok but RCD unit might be preffered. It`s up to you (or your customer)
  • I don't see whether single or double has any affect on the matter.

As you say, strictly speaking, it should be RCD protected but, as you also say, just having one in the house is a bit pointless.

You could fit a stand-alone RCD next to the CU if you can persuade the customer that it would be beneficial then it is up to the customer.

Would you refuse to do the job if they did not want to pay the extra for the RCD socket?

• Cue: The 18th omission of RCD sockets or RCD FCUs in its list of acceptable devices to provide 30mA RCD additional protection....

- Andy.
  • Andy

Thanks for the cue? Sockets with an integral RCD to BS7288 are not regognised in BS 7671, in fact they are excluded as BS 7671 only permis 3 devices for Additional Protection for use by ordinary persons.

SRCD sockets and FCU to BS 7288 can only be used where they have upstream RCD protection. I know that sparkles may think that is daft, wish it were not true or may disagree with me. If so I would commend they read BS 7288: 2016.

i would suggest Dave you fit an RCBO in the board, if it will not take one then fit an external RCD in an enclosure next to the board.
  • What would you do if it was your home?

I'd just do the simple replacement. I agree that fitting just one RCD-protected socket serves no useful purpose. I do not think that there has ever been any intention that additions to a circuit require that the whole circuit be brought up to the current standard provided, of course, that it can carry any expected extra load.

If you feel that RCD protection should be added, would you decline to replace a luminaire on an unprotected circuit - there must be plenty of them around.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

John Peckham:

Andy

Thanks for the cue? Sockets with an integral RCD to BS7288 are not regognised in BS 7671, in fact they are excluded as BS 7671 only permis 3 devices for Additional Protection for use by ordinary persons.

SRCD sockets and FCU to BS 7288 can only be used where they have upstream RCD protection. I know that sparkles may think that is daft, wish it were not true or may disagree with me. If so I would commend they read BS 7288: 2016.

its £304 to get the new standard that isn't yet in force for non members of BSI

• weirdbeard:

John Peckham:

Andy

its £304 to get the new standard that isn't yet in force for non members of BSI

Try your local library - at one time Hampshire Libraries had a subscription, but sadly for the county's residents, no longer.

• Regardless of the non-retrospectivity of BS7671, it is an obvious standard that improves the quality of domestic installations. Whenever any work is required where new or upgraded socket outlets are required then it might be regarded by insurance companies as negligent not to install a RCD.

Now where did I put my coat?

Legh

Chris Pearson:

weirdbeard:

John Peckham:

Andy

its £304 to get the new standard that isn't yet in force for non members of BSI

Try your local library - at one time Hampshire Libraries had a subscription, but sadly for the county's residents, no longer.

Thanks for the advice Chris, but i don't think I will bother, reading the British standard for each and every item of electrical equipment ever installed could be quite time consuming, for even the most conscientious of sparkles ! 

daveparry1:
    Hi all,
    Any comments on this one most welcome!
    A customer wants me to replace an existing one gang 13 amp socket outlet with a double.
    The problem is that there's no rcd protection there, so i'm thinking that as I am in effect adding a socket outlet I should fit an rcd protected one?
    If I were replacing like for like it wouldn't bother me at all but the fact it's going to be a double makes me think an rcd protected one is the thing to do, just seems a bit ott to fit one rcd protected socket when there are probably 20 others that aren't rcd'd!

Hi Dave how about one of them newfangled converter sockets that changes an existing single to a double outlet, the only required paperwork is the invoice :)