This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Charging your phone in the bathroom.

Is it really a good idea to charge your phone and keep it handy on the side of the bath tub at the same time?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7665075/Girl-electrocuted-phone-fell-bath-charging.html

Z
  • You know where this one's going.... Schuko shuttered sockets accessible when in a watery environment.

Legh
  • Very occasionally and only if I am expecting a call do I take my 'phone into the bathroom.

The last thing that I want to do is have to answer the bl**** thing with wet hands and shampoo all over my hair. ?

And I never ever take my 'phone into the loo.

• The girl was unable to remember how her injury happened – the ordeal left her with amnesia, the doctors revealed in a case report.

Er, so not quite electrocuted then, at least not in the traditional sense of the word...

- Andy.
  • Oooh... okay here's a serious question for you...

I'm a member of a local health spa and go swimming twice a week. You're not allowed to use your mobile phones whilst in the spa for reasons of privacy (it's written in the T&C's of membership). I have complained to the management on a couple of occasions when I've been witness to a guest using Facetime with her husband and children whilst in the female changing room (it's one open changing room without cubicles) ? and another guest  taking photos of herself and her friends again in the changing room and surrounded by other ladies in various states of undress. Highly inappropriate... 

I've also recently seen a number of guests using their phone while in the pool to take photos of themselves while swimming. Although I'm secretly willing their expensive phone to slip from their hands whilst doing it, is there any danger to other swimmers in the pool if they did drop it in the water?

Could I give a valid safety reason to the management to get them to do something about it? 

• Lisa,

Assuming the phones are not plugged into the mains (via a charger) at the time any voltage/power discharge is limited to the battery capacity. Unfortunately (for you) I can't see any situation where the battery could give rise to a safety issue.

More of a concern to the Spa operators is that by not doing anything to stop this (and therefore unofficially condoning it) they may be risking a breach of the data protection law (GDPR) which came into force last year - see  https://www.npr.org/2018/05/24/614195844/new-eu-data-protection-law-could-affect-people-who-take-pictures-with-their-phon?t=1574173381495

Of course there is a lot of ambiguity in this, they are not the ones doing it (though it is on their premises) and I am not sure that this article is right, but it may give them something to think about.

Alasdair

• Lisa Miles:

Oooh... okay here's a serious question for you...

I'm a member of a local health spa and go swimming twice a week. You're not allowed to use your mobile phones whilst in the spa for reasons of privacy (it's written in the T&C's of membership). I have complained to the management on a couple of occasions when I've been witness to a guest using Facetime with her husband and children whilst in the female changing room (it's one open changing room without cubicles) ? and another guest  taking photos of herself and her friends again in the changing room and surrounded by other ladies in various states of undress. Highly inappropriate... 

Sounds rather like voyeurism to me. Legal definition here.

In the days before smart 'phones, would anybody have regarded it as being acceptable to take a camera into a changing room? ??

• Lisa Miles:

I've also recently seen a number of guests using their phone while in the pool to take photos of themselves while swimming. Although I'm secretly willing their expensive phone to slip from their hands whilst doing it, is there any danger to other swimmers in the pool if they did drop it in the water?

Could I give a valid safety reason to the management to get them to do something about it? 

Yes - You are about to hit them with a heavy object. 

regards
  • Candidate for the Darwin awards maybe?
  • Lol.

On the way home from work today I nipped into an electrical wholesalers to stock up on fuses and came out with a Ferret WiFi cable rod camera which I have been playing with this evening hooking it up to my phone and IPad, earlier I definitely heard some sighing from the lady sat next to me on our settee. 

The instructions say it is waterproof, but won’t work under water as the water blocks WiFi signals, similarly it won’t work inside steel containment.

With a full set of cable rods it may take mobile phone photography to a whole new level.

Andy B.

• Grumpy:

Candidate for the Darwin awards maybe?

Interesting .. phones charge at 5.1 V, and, according to BS 7671 (Reg 701.55), provided the safety source (phone charger) is located outside the Zones, 30 V DC is permitted in Zone 0.

So, what's different in this case? Did the socket-outlet of a mains extension lead end up in the bath? If not, I think this is a harsh judgement, and questions need to be asked about the "charger".