This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Surge arresters really needed?

Many properties now have electronic watt hour meters both smart and regular electronic digital ones now I believe that all of these have a MOV/Varistor across the power supply input which by the very nature is across the incoming tails if that type of meter is fitted then surely an SPD won't be needed because the one in the meter will protect the installation. Am I right or am I missing something??
  • Without knowing the specifics of the internals electronics, it's difficult to say. But for example if the ELV for the electronics is supplied by a resistor divider across the LV supply, and if the SPD is on the ELV side, then it will protect the meter's electronics but not the LV supply.
  • I suspect not in the majority of cases - these things seem to more akin to selling snake oil than anything else.
  • Surge arrestors fitted inside tariff meters are designed to protect the meter’s electronics from over-voltage. It is not designed to give any protection to the installation although it may have some small effect. 

Regards,

Alan.
  • Thanks for your replys  it always pays to ask!