This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Amtech - Underground parallel singles & associated ducts

Good afternoon.

I have as an incomer parallel 95mm2 singles AWA armoured.

That is 2-off L1 cables, 2-off L2 cables, 2-off L3 cables, 2-off N cables and an earth

All together 8 cables excluding the earth.

We are using method of installation "BICC data - In underground single way ducts"

What does this mean to you?

As I interpret it, we need 8-off ducts one per cable.

Am I right???

If I use the L1s in one duct, the L2s in another duct, the L3s in another duct and the Ns plus E in another duct is it acceptable? Or it is a violation of the installation method and the cable ratings are not valid any more?

Also another question.

In the grouping factor section it asks me about "spacing"

If we have one duct per cable, the spacing is about the ducts between them. Isn't it? 

• I do not use Amtech, but they will have taken data from the BICC data-books and transcribed the formulae into the program.

it should be possible to do the sum by hand and get the same answer.

I'd start by looking at page 30 or so of this bicc catalogue.  There is more data than that out there, but they charge for it. The pictures of ducts and how spacing is measured ought to apply to your case.

If you can you should interleave the cables, to avoid try and cancel the magnetic fields and minimize the series inductance this causes. A trefoil shape of ducts may be good  start.