This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

DPC FOR 18th AMD 1 PUBLISHED

I had an email from the IET to say that the DPC for AMD 1 was published yesterday for 60 days for public comment. I can't post a link but you can find it via the IET and BSI websites. It's all about electric vehicle charging.
  • The basic gist is that another safe means of using a single phase PME supply is added to the list of impractically good electrodes, an earth voltage rise circuit, TT islanding etc.

The new method requires no earth terminal, and  is by using a device that  removes the car from the charger by opening of L, N and E  if the L-N voltage goes out of spec,

i.e.  over 253 or below 207V for more than 5 seconds.

This is rather fun, as we discussed exactly this on here
    here

• WPD are going to have to retap the transformer at the end of our road.

You can find your way to the DPC from Here.

Andy B

• Sparkingchip:

WPD are going to have to retap the transformer at the end of our road.

Are you saying your supply does not comply with Regulation 27 of ESQCR, or are you covered by "unless otherwise agreed in writing" ?

• I have noted readings of 256 volts at home when checking meters in the past, my old Robin multifunction tester would lock out occasionally and refuse to do a loop test.

Generally it stays lower, obviously it depends who’s doing what and where.

Andy Betteridge

• Are you saying your supply does not comply with Regulation 27 of ESQCR

I've known sites where the, er, 'tolerance of measurement' has been debated - i.e. several UPSs (programmed for 253V max) regularly complained of over-voltage and switched into 'buck' mode, while the DNO's power quality meters insisted it wasn't quite exceeding 253V. Even a tenth of a percent difference is measuring devices can be very significant in these borderline cases.

The new method requires no earth terminal, and  is by using a device that  removes the car from the charger by opening of L, N and E  if the L-N voltage goes out of spec,

i.e.  over 253 or below 207V for more than 5 seconds.

They also seem to be sneaking in a new method of shock protection - i.e. a non-separated separated system with lots of extra RCDs to try and make up for the inherent deficiencies.

Many of the PME approaches seem to presume that an open CNE fault can only occur in the cable serving a single installation. I'm not sure that's sensible. I'm sure I've seen a document somewhere that listed amongst other things the average number of customers affected by different types of distribution network faults - more than likely linked to from this (or the old) Forum. Can anyone remember where it might be?

- Andy.

• Sparkingchip:

I'd love to do so, but it tells me that I have to log in. ?
  • you do, but to create an account that allows you to comment is free, and requires little more than an Email address

• Living in a rural Area I've had both ultra extremes

1 Walked into house late one night and switched on light to be rewarded with a soft dim glow rather than normal illumination levels. Checked voltage with my plug in power/volts meter to find (as I recall) it was around 130Volts.

Sigh, do nowt  and go to bed - someone had fixed it by next morning.

2. Working on computer with GLS desk lamp on.

Suddenly desk lamp goes a LOT brighter and UPS on the computer goes nuts signifying its intervening to prevent high voltage.  Yikes say I....Check voltage and its steady as she goes at 278Volts - and remained at that for at least a couple of hours+ despite me ringing them - before it was switched off totally.  Meanwhile I was running round the house switching off any operating electrical item I could.

Sparkingchip
    :

I have noted readings of 256 volts at home when checking meters in the past, my old Robin multifunction tester would lock out occasionally and refuse to do a loop test.

Generally it stays lower, obviously it depends who’s doing what and where.

Andy Betteridge 

• Chris Pearson:

Sparkingchip:

Then register!

My browser remembered my password from previous occasions.

Andy Betteridge

• Sparkingchip:

Chris Pearson:

Sparkingchip:

Then register!

My browser remembered my password from previous occasions.

All sorted on Mike's advice a week ago, but not yet digested.