This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

IET announces new amendment to BS 7671 (IET Wiring Regulations)

Hi all

Just read about this in the latest edition of Wiring Matters Magazine and thought it may be of interest!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Has anyone called Brenda from Bristol for comment ?

OMS
  • Saw this this morning. Am I right that they are just bringing out the Section relating to Special Location regarding EV Charging Points prior to the full Amendment?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/apr/18/does-brenda-from-bristol-have-the-best-reaction-to-the-election-news-video

• SJVH:

Am I right that they are just bringing out the Section relating to Special Location regarding EV Charging Points prior to the full Amendment?

I shall ask my colleagues in the Wiring Regs team...
  • The article linked is missing the key technical content , and the link

Keep an eye on theiet.org/updates to for information on the Draft for Public Comment and publication information.

does not work as expected. So actually we have no idea what is being considered from this article.

more useful here
    bsi website

for those without a login for viewing such things,.

I can indicate that the new work announcement includes clarification of situation for BS 7288 for SRCD and FCU- RCD

and intends to roll in changes from
    HD 60364-7-722:2015 in relation to EVs,

and some other stuff about gensets and building sites and exhibitions.

Await the DPC with interest.

• “Additional change agreed following April 2019 meeting to include reference to BS 7288 for SRCD and FCURCD in clauses 531.3.4.1 & 531.3.4.2”

Hopefully the change will resolve most of, and preferably all of, the possible issues of using this type of RCD within an electrical installation.

Though I still foresee some debates of this forum.

Andy Betteridge
  • There would be something amiss if you didn't foresee debates in this forum. ?

As I understand it, the authorities have accepted that there are shortcomings in the 18th Ed, and manufacturers have moved forwards. We are due a DPC next month, but until that is released, it is difficult to make further comment.

• does not work as expected. So actually we have no idea what is being considered from this article.

more useful here
    bsi website

That seems to be a different piece of work - the BSI web site provides a .docx which lists a whole lot of proposed work including Low voltage generating sets, Construction and demolition sites, Exhibitions, DC power distribution over information technology cable infrastructure, DC power supply system in the data centre, Energy Efficiency and Smart Low-Voltage electrical installations as well as EVSE - with a DPC due September next year and publication April 2022.

- Andy.
  • I would be interested to see forum members comments on the most recent edition of BS 7288? I may be coming to the wrong conclusion but it would appear to me that RCD sockets and SFCU have been rendered pointless. 

Any views?

• John Peckham:

I would be interested to see forum members comments on the most recent edition of BS 7288? I may be coming to the wrong conclusion but it would appear to me that RCD sockets and SFCU have been rendered pointless. 

Any views?

Already expressed here on 11 Aug (page 2).

Not entirely pointless because I think that it would be reasonable to replace an ordinary socket with one where the householder does not want to have the circuit, or even whole CU upgraded. Let's not forget that there is no obligation to update an installation. A new circuit is a different matter.

• I suspect the "updates" link should have been: https://electrical.theiet.org/bs-7671/updates/, but nothing about this there yet.

- Andy.