This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Didcot powerstation

I saw on the news earlier that this morning they blew up the last of Didcots cooling towers  the demolition went ok but the dust cloud caused a flashover in the substation that is still used to supply parts or maybe a

all of Oxfordshire  I bet the grid engineers were tearing there hair out after last weeks events
  • Perhaps I should ask my chum who lives within sight of the place?

Thankfully, there were no casualties.

What rather staggers me is that the lifespan of the place was only about 40 years, which begs a couple of questions:

(1) What was the intended lifespan in the original business case?

(2) How much energy has been consumed in both building and demolishing the place?
  • I went on a visit to the station in around 1985 it was very impressive seeing those huge alternators and cabling in the switch yard that was more like plumbing than electrics  shame it's all gone now
  • This will be an increasingly common site in the next year as most of the 1960s generation of coal fired power stations with 500MW generators are demolished. Arguably amongst the most iconic at Ironbridge, given their proximity to a world heritage site, are due to go soon.  Some people even wanted to save them as monument.  These stations had useable life left, but burning coal to produce electricity has become unacceptable in the UK. 

It wasn’t clear from the footage that I saw what caused the fault on local distribution system, but the two issues were clearly related. The fault was not on equipment belonging to National Grid who “Transmit” (in Bulk) typically at 400KV, rather than “distribute” (locally).  Circa 25 years ago, I had a training facility and office on the site and remember passing the flowers outside Williams Formula 1 (before it relocated to The Grove) the Day after Ayrton Senna had been killed.  

From an engineering perspective my main concern around the loss of major industries, is the loss of good local apprenticeships, employment prospects for Engineers and Technicians, plus all the spin offs for the local economy.  Didcot is relatively fortunate in that respect, having other technology employment near by and of course a B station, but with far fewer employees. In some areas of the country the power station was either the sole major employer, or “last one standing” after closures in the Coal & Steel industries.  I was lucky to secure an apprenticeship at my local Power Station.

• Hi Roy it's a shame these old power stations are going I'm sure its a decision that will come back to bite the government on the bum. I was never fortunate enough to work in a station like that or even to work for a DNO but I have been lucky enough to visit both Didcot station and also to have a look round Portsmouth just after it had closed thinking back it's amazing the difference between the 2 stations. Finally I saw the video of the demolition on TV again and it looks like the flashover was on some 33/66 Kv lines so not directly a grid fault even so I hate to think what the fault MVA would of been
  • It may be only related to the demolition stirring up a  cloud of dust around or settling on the insulators.

As a side note special dust bombs are made for attacking and disabling open air substations - like rain drops in a thunderstorm, the presence of mixed particulates ,even if individually not very conductive, turns the originally uniform insulation into a series of unequal values capacitors in series, which then break down one by one, until with a sizzle and a pop, the last link is complete. I understand the bombs contain a mixture of graphite powder and sand, and to restart can take days
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Try a google for Graphite or Blackout Bombs

Basically spools of graphite filament that gets shredded when the embedded charge goes bang, to create a conductive cloud

Very effective, but relatively easy to get the electrical infrastructure working again.

I've seen the effects of one on power transmission substations in the former Yugoslavia - pretty impressive - and noting the damage comes from the energy in the system, rather than the munition - but relatively easy to repair.

Of course, if you want to put the lights out and keep them out, then conventional munitions are just the recipe for usually unprotected facilities.

Looking at the Didcot video, I did wonder if there was also an element of ground shock involved, coupled with a potentially conductive cloud - most distribution assets tend not to be seismically qualified.

Regards

OMS

• Early on the day, BBC News on their website had a fairly good shot of the burning pole and associated gear. They pulled it not long afterwards, but not before I had........ captured it shall we say.

It looked like a 33 kV line to me, based on the insulators.

ed66ab8af1be0fcede549fa2fb0d80b9-huge-didcot.png

Clive
    83b95a64fab84ab82e47fcc4a0cf2a55-huge-screenshot-2019-08-19-at-08.02.16.png
    b83632b4bf4b82e5e27f62913d4234ca-huge-screenshot-2019-08-19-at-08.02.08.png

Brown and Mason may be in a little spot of bother. The 33KV line was outside the demolition safety perimeter.

• Kelly Marie:

Hi Roy it's a shame these old power stations are going I'm sure its a decision that will come back to bite the government on the bum. I was never fortunate enough to work in a station like that or even to work for a DNO but I have been lucky enough to visit both Didcot station and also to have a look round Portsmouth just after it had closed thinking back it's amazing the difference between the 2 stations. Finally I saw the video of the demolition on TV again and it looks like the flashover was on some 33/66 Kv lines so not directly a grid fault even so I hate to think what the fault MVA would of been

I heard Jeremy Corbyn recently waxing lyrical about the coal industry and his thoughts on its re-establishment.  Albeit, could have been a facebook broadcast as I remember .

Legh

However, Magic Grandad is a complete imbecile and has not the faintest perception of what re opening a UK coal industry would require - plus it appears he has no concept of the falling demand for coal, worldwide

Whilst it may strike a chord with Corbyn, McDonald et al to have a return to the great Marxist proletariat heroically struggling to hew coal in State owned collieries for the benefit of the many (and a stack of block votes for the Politburo), it won't go down well with the yak milk latte drinkers idling about in the dachas of Islington, trust me.

OMS