Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

Single Domestic Connection - DNO Quote Too High

29 Replies

• New Question

Single Domestic Connection - DNO Quote Too High

Posted by Jdank on Jun 12, 2019 10:33 am

A quote from our DNO to connect our barn conversion project to the Grid was £25k.  Only £1300 was non-contestable, so one would think it would be possible to get a cheaper quote on the remaining contestable work from an Independent DNO or Connection Provider but I've hit a brick wall on this.  It is for a 25kVA connection. Any ideas on who to turn to for another quote?

Re: Single Domestic Connection - DNO Quote Too High

Posted by perspicacious on Jun 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Any idea what the £6.6k D306 relates to in the quote?

That's the cost of getting the two drums of HV cable to site, de-coiling into the client's pre-dug trench and blinding with stone dust.

As I mentioned above, my DNO cost for this (sub-contracted out) has almost doubled. I tried to see if I could organise this bit out of the contestable works but it's the whole package or none.

As to 500 m of "private" works, quite viable as I've done this, but I'd caution on the ability to use the 3-ph volt drop figures in your example as it is unlikely for a domestic you'd get anywhere near balance unless lightly loaded where volt drop won't be so critical. This also assumes that the distant HV network is three wire as if rural, it might only be two wire. Plus, the smallest 3-ph PMT is typically 50 kVA adding to cost. There is also the assumption that the OP owns the land on which the distant HV is and could build a secure meter containment.

Regards

BOD

Posted by weirdbeard on Jun 16, 2019 12:48 pm

perspicacious:
Any idea what the £6.6k D306 relates to in the quote?

That's the cost of getting the two drums of HV cable to site, de-coiling into the client's pre-dug trench and blinding with stone dust.

As I mentioned above, my DNO cost for this (sub-contracted out) has almost doubled. I tried to see if I could organise this bit out of the contestable works but it's the whole package or none.

As to 500 m of "private" works, quite viable as I've done this, but I'd caution on the ability to use the 3-ph volt drop figures in your example as it is unlikely for a domestic you'd get anywhere near balance unless lightly loaded where volt drop won't be so critical. This also assumes that the distant HV network is three wire as if rural, it might only be two wire. Plus, the smallest 3-ph PMT is typically 50 kVA adding to cost. There is also the assumption that the OP owns the land on which the distant HV is and could build a secure meter containment.

Thanks persp, that seems a lot of money to drop a cable in a hole, it must be magic stone dust used for the blinding! 

Agreed, a lot of assumptions and guesses made with this idea, it's kind of tricky to do a full design knowing nothing at all about the situation although I do know secure surface mounted 3 phase meter cabinets come ready made for less than £50 from a well known online electrical suppliers :)

:D

Posted by perspicacious on Jun 16, 2019 5:26 pm

secure surface mounted 3 phase meter cabinets come ready made for less than £50 

But you still need something to contain/mount it as the days of nailing the meter box to the DNO pole are long gone!

Regards

BOD

Posted by Tony S on Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Chris Pearson:
It sounds, in effect, like a private HV suply with your own transformer, so the cost does not surprise me. Presumably 25 kVA is the smallest available one.

If the HV supply is in the ground, and ditto the LV connexion, why would the transformer be up a pole? 

My experience of SSE has been nothing short of first rate.

There are no 25kVA padmount transformers listed in the UKPN stores inventory. The only way to get a 25kVA 11/.250V transformer is a pole mounted unit.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in