This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Good Van Stock.

I carry a lot of stock on my work vehicle. People comment about how full it is and say "how do you find anything?" I say I just open a door and it falls out.

Well today I had a call-out. A tripping R.C.D. Yawn, another faulty domestic appliance I thought, water in the electrics. An easy fix just unplug everything and individually plug stuff back in until the R.C.D. trips off again.

Nope not this time. It was the immersion heater. So, having a new one onboard, I changed it with my special immersion heater spanner and big hammer, after issuing the warning about the tank possibly splitting and I will not be responsible for that.

Good van stock is essential I reckon, especially today as most shops were closed.

I don't reckon that I will ever be able to be a minimalist sparks. I love a full van.

P.S. It was the first immersion heater renewal in a long time for me, but there again it was a copper sheathed one and not Aqualoy as most seem to be these days.

Do you?

Bye,

Z.

• Well that's all well and good Zoom but apart from the cost of holding all that stock when you're looking at  months rather than years for your final twist of a screwdriver you'll be staring at all that kit in your van and thinking what the hell am I going to do with that lot. Like me!

PS You're not in the market for a big van load of eclectic spares are you?

• Mornin' Grumpy,

the van stock is an investment like investing in gold bars, stamps, old coins, antiques, shares or fine wines etc. The turnover of most of the stock is 6 months' maximum. When I finally go to the great electricians' final resting place the stock won't bother me at all. If I retire before I ascend (or descend) I will give it away or sell it at a local car boot sale in the summer.

In 99 percent (or more) of cases I can complete jobs immediately without wasting time driving off to buy stock. That equates to better profits, which I use to invest in stock, which makes me more efficient. It is a win-win situation.

Customers are impressed if you can complete a job immediately. And it saves having to make another appointment. I suppose that I am a bit of a fire fighter. Attend and complete the mission is my motto.

Bye,

Z.