This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Tripping RCD after smart meter install

I got called to a property today. The RCD had started tripping after a smart meter was installed. The insulation resistance between line and cpc was over 300 Mohm on all circuits. The RCD was an MEM unit in a memera 2000 consumer unit.

Whilst at the property the RCD did not trip. I did a google search and one result suggested the RF from the smart meters transceiver was upsetting the RCD. When the smart meter was first energised I guess it starts communicating with the supplier causing said RF.

We have had 3 properties now all with MEM RCD's which have started tripping after smart meters have been installed, normally in the early hours of the day.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced of this issue?
  • There have been reports of RCDs being tripped by 'walkie-talkie' type hand-held radios - so RF interference does sound plausible.

I gather most smart meters use the mobile phone network to communicate with the outside - so perhaps an experiment with a mobile phone (sending a SMS perhaps) close too the RCCB might be worth a try?

- Andy.
  • I was going to try a mobile near the RCD if I got called back. Accidentally the smart meters transceiver box did fall off the meter board whilst I was at the property, I tucked it up out as far as possible to get it away from the RCD. 

PS I know the meter board and consumer unit are in a rubbish position behind the curtain....

cb88770b9a06e44f0d94e26df7116ab1-huge-20190226_145932.jpg

• More ammo for the anti-smart meter, colander wearing, health conscious complainants.

C.
  • It sounds like an urban myth.

But feel free to prove otherwise.

• Andrew Betteridge:

It sounds like an urban myth.

But feel free to prove otherwise.

Maybe it is a myth. One thing for sure that consumer unit has been there nearly 20 years with no issues until that not so smart meter was installed.

• Stray RF can certainly trip an RCD. I'm a radio amateur and have done this myself when there is a high SWR (i.e.the radio energy being radiated into the house instead of going out of the aerial)

• Beard Weird:

Stewart Mason:

We have had 3 properties now all with MEM RCD's which have started tripping after smart meters have been installed, normally in the early hours of the day.

Hi, just a thought but I have only ever seen MEM RCDs with functional Earth fly lead connections, I wonder if this could be a contributing factor? 

It does like an MEM issue. The big question is, is it excessive RF from the meter is it the RCD not up to emc standards?

• John Mann:

Stray RF can certainly trip an RCD. I'm a radio amateur and have done this myself when there is a high SWR (i.e.the radio energy being radiated into the house instead of going out of the aerial)

What frequency is that at? 

• Normally the hardest probelms with pick-up are at HF - that is usually just one of the ham bands between 1.6 and 30MHz, mainly because the associated wavelength, some tens of metres, tends to be  comparable to the lengths of typical final circuits, which can then act as accidental monopole or loop antennas. Also HF antennas tend to be large, and therefore the 'near field' region around them, where the signal is not falling off as the inverse sqare of distance is also many metres.

It should be noted that a pass of the EMC standards required for CE marking is a very easy standard to pass, and does not require anything like enough protection to guarantee co-location of equipment. The prescribed levels are set so that you are unlikely to receive or cause trouble from or to the neighbours next door, rather than to prevent self interfernce between bits of kit on the same property, where supposedly you are able to do something about it yourself.

If you really want to test to levels that allow you to to co-site transmitters and potential victims, then a few more factors of ten are  needed, and you need to think not in terms of the Euronorm standards, but more like DefStan or MilStd, depending if you prefer MOD or NATO.

Designing to pass an immunity test at 200V/m from 10kHz to 6GHz  (the Def Stan) is far more demanding that one at 3V/m (CE marking for type B, domestic situations) or even 10 V/m (CE marking industrial), there is a reason that all the geen boxes are milled from solid metal and have EMC gaskets everywhere.

Some car safety standards are more sensibly exacting, and I suspect will tighten further with self driving cars.

• mapj1:

...you need to think not in terms of the Euronorm standards, but more like DefStan or MilStd, depending if you prefer MOD or NATO.

That is all very well but are the standards readily accessible?  I wanted quote DefStan 59-411 (Marine EMC requirements) in a specification and when I asked if I could was told it was restricted and could not be made available. I pointed out that is was readily accessible on the internet to anyone, though did not receive a response to this. However, a week later when I tried to get it from the internet.......... Gone! (I should have just kept quiet - and also saved a copy)

Alasdair