This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Metal sockets (chrome, brass, stainless steel etc.)

Most electricians only install boring white plastic sockets or metalclad sockets in industrial premises but somebody here might have knowledge of decorative chrome, brass, stainless steel etc. sockets.

MK offer a diverse range of finishes and styles but they don't come cheap. Are they really better quality than other brands or do you just pay for the name?

Contactum are a bit tricky to find but they are more competitively priced. They claim that they are British made. What do you think of them?

G&H Brassware spoil you for choice with their range of finishes and styles but I suspect that they just make the metal fascia plates then use workings from another manufacturer. Are they any good because there isn't much information about them?

LAP I have been informed stands for lousy and problematic or lousy and popular. They are sold by Screwfix but real electricians won't buy them.

Is BG (British General) a good brand or not?

Wessex is sold by Toolstation but they appear to be an own brand. Who actually manufactures them?
  • The fancy MK accessories use the same innards as the white ones. Whilst the quality is good, delivery times may be very uncertain. In my experience, you may have to wait months to get what you ordered.
  • The more popular MK accessories are readily available from electrical suppliers. Only the less common accessories are made to order.
  • You'll need to check the quality of the different makes.

I installed some brushed stainless steel double sockets a few years ago and found to my horror that the earthing terminal would suddenly buckle and snap off when tightening the terminal to a reasonable tightness. These sockets were not cheap at something like £12 each.

Legh
  • G&H Brassware is a company that is located locally to me in Worcester and I have been to their premises to collect orders placed through wholesalers.

They have a workshop where they assemble fittings using a hand fly-press to attach the face plates to the operational part of the socket using crimped sleeves through the fixing screw holes, as well as stock items.

Andy Betteridge

• Arran Cameron:

The more popular MK accessories are readily available from electrical suppliers. Only the less common accessories are made to order.

I thought that you were asking about fancy metal ones?

• Andrew Betteridge:

G&H Brassware is a company that is located locally to me in Worcester and I have been to their premises to collect orders placed through wholesalers.

They have a workshop where they assemble fittings using a hand fly-press to attach the face plates to the operational part of the socket using crimped sleeves through the fixing screw holes, as well as stock items.

Andy Betteridge 

Where do the operational parts come from?

• I don’t know, I have not bought any lately.
  • I have used the BG ones, they do lots of different styles i think.  The ones i used were pretty good and had a good sized tunnel terminal block. 

Gary
  • I like Click Scolmore.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Here is a couple manufactures in the mid price range similar to that of Mk

Hamilton Litestat 

http://www.hamilton-litestat.com/

marcus brass / heritage brass 

https://www.m-marcus.com/electrical-products/