This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

So how many BS1362 fuses do you get for seventy quid?

Audiophile plug fuses on Ebay 

I'm over run with the ordinary 13-amp fuses and end up throwing them away! Is that for a single fuse?

Andy B.

• Synergistic Research’s NEW Reference RED Fuse

In mid 2012 Synergistic Research entered the fuse market with SR20 Quantum Fuses and we quickly became the fuse to beat worldwide.

Never a company to rest on past success we began seeking new ways to elevate fuse performance concentrating on both conductor materials and new treatment processes.

Synergistic Research RED Fuses feature proprietary alloy burn wires and end caps encased in anti-resonant ceramic bodies. RED fuses are then treated with 2,000,000 volts of electricity in a process we call Quantum Tunneling that alters the conductor at a molecular level for optimum performance. Unique to SR RED Fuses is a new treatment process applied exclusively to SR RED Fuses that realigns the crystal structure of both the burn wire and the end caps for a refinement in high frequency characteristics and improved timbre linearity. All told SR RED fuses significantly outperform every other high-end fuse on the market and are the only fuses guaranteed to deliver a significant increase in system performance or your money back. When compared to our award winning SR20 Quantum Fuses, SR RED Fuses sound more refined with smoother highs and more linear frequency extension from the deepest bass to the highest highs; no small feat given the remarkable performance of our original SR20 Quantum Fuses.

A fuse by any other name: RED

Synergistic Research RED Fuses are actually white so why name them RED? The answer comes from their development. When voicing new SR products we do A LOT of blind listening tests. In the case of our new RED Fuses we evaluated several different fuses made from different materials. We then perfected a new proprietary treatment process unique to SR RED Fuses custom formulated to elevate performance. To keep track of the fuse that would ultimately sound best we color coded each version. In the end the best sounding fuse was the fuse with a red dot. During development we kept referring to this winning fuse as “the red fuse.” In the end the name stuck and our new SR RED Fuse was born.

If you haven’t already auditioned our amazing new RED fuses in your system contact an authorized Synergistic Research dealer or distributor today for a no-risk 30-day in-home trial. All SR RED Fuse values are sold with a 30-day no-risk money back guarantee. With Synergistic Research RED Fuses you have everything to gain and nothing to lose except of course yesterday’s performance robbing fuses, guaranteed!

• And while we're at it! Better get a grounding block.
  • I'm remembering now why I stopped working in the audio industry many years ago...you sort of have to admire their nerve but this must be bordering on mis-selling...
  • I was actually searching for some red 13-amp plugs to make up some PAT testing leads to remind me not to plug them into the mains to avoid blowing the tester up and the search threw those fuses up.

There's also this one at £130 also available on credit at £ £11.57 for twelve months.

Apart from anything else, isn't a 13-amp fuse too big for most audio gear?

Andy B.
  • The new SR BLUE Quantum Fuse was developed over a two year period and represents our most advanced UEF Technology to date. At its heart is a completely new UEF / Graphene coating that delivers a dramatic increase in resolution and holographic realism over SR Black. And thanks to a new conditioning process, break-in time is cut in half. In fact a brand new out-of-the-box BLUE Fuse should significantly out perform a fully broken-in BLACK Fuse and it only gets better from there with full performance after 200 hrs of continues power. To find out how good your components really are audition the new SR BLUE Quantum Fuse today.

These are 25.4mm long to fit a UK mains plug. You are buying 1 fuse, we have 20mm ones in our ebay shop.

How fuses alter the sound of your system.

For over one hundred years people believed electrons flowed like water through a pipe and that once 'contaminated' by miles of wire, there was little or nothing that could be done to 'clean' the electricity feeding your components. Consider this: the electricity feeding your system's components first propagates through a single fuse. This is why significant gains in sound quality are possible when you insert an SR Black or Blue Fuses into each of your components.

Today physicists understand electrons don't flow at all but rather propagate in a wave of energy that moves along a conductor with a multitude of factors that alters this wave at the quantum level. To understand how electricity travels without electrons ever leaving their respective atoms it is helpful to consider the spectator 'wave' at a football match. Even though you can clearly see a wave pattern moving from spectator to spectator as fans raise and then lower their hands (without hands jumping from one person to the next), so too does electricity 'move' without electrons ever leaving their atoms. At Synergistic Research we've isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates by changing the behavior of electrons through Inductive Quantum Coupling methods we collectively call UEF Tech. In fact, UEF Tech is so powerful even an electrical chain several miles long is fundimentally improved with nothing more than a single fuse engineered with our patented UEF Technology.

We're so sure you'll love what SR Black and Blue Fuses do for your system, we sell them with a no questions asked, 30-day money back guarantee so you can audition SR Black and Blue Fuses in your system risk-free. Then if you're not 100% satisfied with your system's performance on SR Black and Blue fuses, return the fuses to your dealer in like new condition for a full refund

• How do you "break-in" a plug fuse?

Andy B.
  • This is looking a bit worrying.

These fuses are designed to fit in a 13A plug but almost certainly don't comply with BS1362, so putting them in the plug is going to be illegal. It would be interesting to test these fuses, but at £70+ per pop (forgive the pun) I am not intending to. I am also intrigued by the "increase in resolution and holographic realism" that is being promised. If I fit one of these fuses to my sound system, is it going to start projecting holograms? I am also fascinated by the fact that they have "isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates" which I would love to know - have I been understanding in wrongly all these years? But then the description of how electricity flow is supposedly correcting over 100 years of what people believed, but I learned what they describe is happening nearly 50 years ago, so this would mean that people believed that electricity flowed like water through a pipe from sometime prior to about 1870 (about 25 years before electrons were discovered).

In conclusion, I won't be buying any!

Alasdair
  • Going back 25 years the one that used to make us laugh was the gold plated mains plug with oxygen free mains cable - we used to imagine an audiophile arguing with the electricity board about wanting their wiring back to the substation to be in oxygen free cable with gold plated connectors throughout! 

The listening test point is interesting. If someone has spent £70 on a fuse there is, in my experience from running listening tests, a very good chance they'll decide it does sound better. It's a very brave person who'll admit they've been taken in.

I see the Blue version of this fuse is £130....and it's directional (this stuff really makes me cross):

Q: Are fuses directional?

A: Yes, fuses are directional.  Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse.  If you do not know the direction of flow you should listen to the fuse inserted in both directions.  One direction will sound more detailed.  This is the correct way.
    https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/blue/

Ok, so they'd have to go a very very long way to convince me of their audiophile claims, but it's a very interesting legal and safety point Alasdair - I've even just had a quick look at "The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994" (I believe this is still current?) which implies that a mains fuse placed on the market must be to BS1362, but I'm not sure it actually states this? Synergistic Research (and MCRU) don't claim one way or the other whether these are to BS1362 anyway. So it's a really interesting legal point as to whether these fuses should be on the market or not - so much so that I'd be wary of posting an opinion on it!

I spent years of my life designing genuinely high quality (studio) sound equipment, for a company that really cared about finding out whether anyone really could hear the difference between any two devices or circuits, and then wanted to know why. Even when you have a perfectly designed listening room with speakers perfectly matched to it (which are actually your biggest problems at home) your mains fuse is still very much the least of your worries! But it's psychology, it's about the only bit left (along with the interconnect cables and the mains plug) that the consumer can change, so they want to believe they can still affect the sound by those bits that are still in their control.

Personally I'd rather spend the money on some good CD's...or LPs...or concert tickets...or put it towards a new guitar...

Cheers,

Andy
  • There have been discussions on the old forum concerning audiophiles and electrical installation, I have commented previously some years ago about finding a 6.0 mm2 twin and earth cable buried about six inches down in a flower bed running around a house to supply a dedicated audio consumer unit with the cable dogged into the meter tails and only protected by the suppliers 80-amp fuse.

I was told that installing additional circuit protection and in particular RCDs would affect the sound quality from the audio equipment, which was why the cable had been installed as it was to supply the equipment rather than using the socket circuit that already supplied sockets in the where the equipment is.

The objection raised  to having MCBs and RCDs was that they contain coils that caused sound quality issues, but surely a fuse is just a piece of wire?

Andy B.

• Beard Weird:

Hi Andy, would you mind keeping this channel clear for wiring and regs matters, I would've recommended you repost to the consumer goods section but it has recently disappeared without trace :)

So it has! I'll raise a query.