This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Multi-core SWA cable installation in vertical risers.

Hi

I have just had a conversation with a contractor who has stipulated that as part of a vertical cable installation it is a requirement to put a kink in the cable every 5-7m. The reason behind this is they say it helps with the distribution of the weight on high vertical risers.

I have never heard of anyone doing this? can someone please advise me if this is now a requirement, or point me in the right direction for clarification, i.e. is it in any of the guidance notes.

Regards

Desmond Young BSc (Hons) (Open) MSc.
  • I have never installed a cable that requires this vertical support,  but it is something I had to draw a sketch of when I was at college.

So I will say the contractor is correct. 

Andy B.
  • My recollection is of drawing the cable threaded through metal supporting bars and fire stopping. 

Andy B.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    A kink, perhaps, but, if not, certainly some means of relieving the mechanical strain on the cable such that it is not subjected to a mechanical load from its own mass which may cause damage or deterioration to the cable once installed.
    This can be done for single cables in trunking in big vertical runs where the cable is alternatively weaved through regular support posts within the trunking but an armoured cable would be regularly fixed to support its weight making what they have suggested unnecessary.

I assume you are referring to something like this: http://www.unitrunk.co.uk/products/240340/326765
  • OK, so the cable is cleated say every 500 mm and kinked every 5 m. If the nine cleats below the kink fail, how will the tenth one support the cable? ?
    Maybe he needs to invest in some gripfill.

• Chris Pearson:

OK, so the cable is cleated say every 500 mm and kinked every 5 m. If the nine cleats below the kink fail, how will the tenth one support the cable? ?

If we have a 90% failure rate, something is definitely wrong!

Alasdair

• Chris Pearson:

OK, so the cable is cleated say every 500 mm and kinked every 5 m. If the nine cleats below the kink fail, how will the tenth one support the cable? ?

If nine cleats failed, then you did it wrong, and the tenth one is probably about to fail anyway. 

• I am not sure I like the idea of putting a "kink" in the cable but long runs of cable should not be run in a perfectly straight line. To allow for thermal expansion under load conditions  a gentle "wave" along the run of the cable would be preferable. 

My preference is for cleats on anything over 95mm rather than cable ties on vertical runs.