This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are high heels "necessary and appropriate" in a workplace?

On Monday a group of women submitted a petition to the Japanese government to protest against what they say is a de facto requirement for female staff to wear high heels at work. The #KuToo campaign – a play on words from the Japanese kutsu, meaning shoes, and kutsuu, meaning pain – was launched by the actor and freelance writer Yumi Ishikawa and quickly won support online. In the petition, Ishikawa states that high heels can cause women a number of health issues, and had become a burden to her employment, stating "I hope this campaign will change the social norm so that it won't be considered to be bad manners when women wear flat shoes like men," Ishikawa told the BBC. Campaigners have said wearing high heels was considered to be near-obligatory when job hunting or working at many Japanese companies, and said the requirement of wearing high heeled shoes is akin to modern foot-binding.

Ishikawa told reporters: “Today we submitted a petition calling for the introduction of laws banning employers from forcing women to wear heels as sexual discrimination or harassment.”

On Wednesday, Japan’s health and labour minister, Takumi Nemoto, when asked to comment on the petition, defended workplaces that require women to wear high heels to work, arguing “It is socially accepted as something that falls within the realm of being occupationally necessary and appropriate”.

One commentator on the JapanToday website asked, “Why is it necessary? Heels are incredibly painful and serve no function whatsoever. Why can’t women just work without having to be some sort of eye-candy for someone else?” Others suggested that the minister should be required to wear high heels for a week to see if he enjoyed the experience (an option which I am sure would quickly result in a change in the law!)

A similar petition against high heels at work was signed by more than 150,000 people in the UK in 2016 after receptionist Nicola Thorp was sent home from work for wearing flat shoes (refusing to wear 2-4in heels). Thorp's case prompted an inquiry on workplace dress codes by a committee of MPs, which highlighted other cases in the UK where women were required to wear heels, even for jobs that included climbing ladders, carrying heavy luggage, carrying food and drink up and down stairs or walking long distances. The UK Government refused to change the law, claiming scope for redress already existed under the Equality Act 2010.

What strikes me as absolutely crazy is that this is an issue at all. In 2019, why are grown women considered seemingly incapable of making their own decisions about what they put on their feet in the morning?!

An article by Yamini Pustake Bhalerao I came across summarises this perfectly: "Many women love to wear high heels and for various reasons. Some wear it to add height to their stature. Others wear it because it makes them look sexy, while many think it adds a certain dimension to their personality. Then there are few, like me, who see high heels as the worst thing one could do to their feet. But the most important aspect, as it is with any accessory, is the agency to make a choice. We all choose or choose not to wear heels. When you remove this choice from the equation, high heels get reduced to yet another method to sexualise or objectify women. Foot fetish makes many men see women wearing heels as attractive. They are automatically perceived to be sexy, sharp and “presentable.” This, however, has nothing to do with their capabilities as a professional. Wearing high heels doesn’t make you a better doctor, engineer, lawyer or corporate woman. Thus, it makes no sense to make it compulsory for working women to wear it to work."

Read more at: 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/05/high-heels-at-work-are-necessary-says-japan-labour-minister
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/06/japans-labour-minister-mocked-saying-high-heels-necessary-reasonable/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48534453
https://www.shethepeople.tv/blog/kutoo-movement-why-women-in-japan-want-to-get-rid-of-high-heels

• I remember talking about the Nicola Thorp case at the time Amber, and how disappointed/confused/astounded I was that the need to wear heels was placed above Nicola's skills and experience as a Receptionist as a measure of suitability for that role. I said at the time that there is no logical or ethical reason for any woman to be required to wear heels while at work. Safety shoes... absolutely! But a pair of high heels? No sorry, just don't understand that... 

If wearing heels is a necessary requisite for being a Receptionist then perhaps male Receptionists should be wearing heels too? ? ?

• This is a symptom of the objectification of women in a patriarchal society than values the need for a person to look "appealing" to the other workers and customers than to the health and well-being of the employee.  I don't see why it should matter if a persons calves look longer in heels as a dress code consideration.  Its about as outdated as the idea it's OK to slap a woman on the tush as she walks past.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    From my perspective it beggars belief that the objectification of women is still an issue in 1st World countries like the UK and Japan.  Let the men that don’t see this be required to wear high heels and speedos and we might see some change.  Thoroughly reprehensible attitudes.

Edwin
  • On the topic of heels as a requirement, Norwegian Air told its female employees (in April this year!) that they must wear heels which are at least two centimetres tall unless they have a doctor's note! The 22-page dress code goes on to tell female employees to wear eye makeup and light foundation, a tinted moisturiser, or powders. However, men are banned from wearing any makeup, unless it is to cover up acne or bruises. Women are required to have a doctor’s note on them at all times and update it every six months if they want to wear flat shoes.

Conversely, in March this year, Aer Lingus announced it will not require female cabin crew to wear makeup or skirts anymore. The flag carrier airline of Ireland said it had made the decision in response to feedback sessions with staff across many departments. Virgin Atlantic has also revealed makeup and skirts would cease to be mandatory for female staff. The airline’s female flight attendants will be given trousers as standard, instead of having to specially request them.

How many other companies/industries/countries need to seriously review and revise their dress code policies?

Read more here: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/norweigan-air-female-staff-flat-shoes-doctors-note-heels-a8872321.html

• I completely agree with the need for a 'Dress Code' in a working environment and I agree that footwear should be 'appropriate' for the environment i.e. no flip flops or open toed sandals if you're working in an environment where you need to protect your feet or be smartly dressed in a customer facing role. However, as I've said before, I find it really difficult to comprehend why the height of someones heels needs to be a factor in that? 

I couldn't tell you which of the female colleagues I've come into contact with today were wearing heels or not as it's not something that I particularly paid attention to! In fact I don't think I could even tell you what they were wearing as my attention is more on the work we're doing than their chosen attire for the day. 

However, I notice in the media over the last few days the obsession with the outfits that the Queen, the Duchess of Cambridge and the First Lady had chosen for the President's visit. Not one mention of what the men were wearing though...
  • With the exception of some in modelling and performing arts, I can't think of any job that might require someone to wear heels, but many where you would want to stop people wearing heels.  I've worn them for a few hours at a time, to performances of the Rocky Horror Show, and am in awe of women who somehow manage to wear them all day, get around and not be screaming in agony!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Amber Thomas:

On the topic of heels as a requirement, Norwegian Air told its female employees (in April this year!) that they must wear heels which are at least two centimetres tall unless they have a doctor's note! The 22-page dress code goes on to tell female employees to wear eye makeup and light foundation, a tinted moisturiser, or powders. However, men are banned from wearing any makeup, unless it is to cover up acne or bruises. Women are required to have a doctor’s note on them at all times and update it every six months if they want to wear flat shoes.

This is one of those things that really bugs me. I have no problem with dress code as long as it's relevant (i.e. to keep you safe) and practical, but they should be more general and not gender specific. All this does it reinforce gender roles, which does have a knock on effect on lots of things.

And how is someone who is non-binary meant to interpret gender specific dress code?

• Since I can't walk in most high heels my views are probably biased.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to wear (or expect anyone to wear) high heels in a physics or chemistry lab, an engineering workshop or on a building site.
  • I worked in a chemistry lab for four years and lived every day in jeans and trainers. That said, I would not have attended an interview wearing those "work" clothes, as although they were appropriate for the job, they aren't appropriate for making a good impression at interview. I only owned one pair of "smart" shoes at the time, and these did have a heel (although I could not tell you how high as it has never occurred to me to measure my shoe height in the same way that some of the airlines mentioned above have mandated!).

My point is that although it wasn't necessary to wear them in the job and wasn't compulsory for the interview (and it certainly had nothing to do with wanting to be "eye-candy" or anything like that!), I still wore heels because at that time, I associated heels with looking professional and employable (even though I don't like wearing them). Does this make me part of the problem? Sadly, probably yes (NB. I'm NOT saying that everyone who wears heels is problematic, just that as I personally don't like wearing heels, I probably should have had the strength of character to wear something different. Obviously some women (and men) love a heel and good luck to them, but it would be hypocritical for me to say "Why do women feel the need to wear impractical, uncomfortable shoes for work?" when it is something I know I have done myself, so I wanted to think about my own experience and some of the factors that influenced my decision).

So, this was 15 or so years ago and my first job out of uni and with student debt etc I didn't have money to spend on "smart" shoes I would probably never wear again! My "smart" shoes were a pair that my parents had bought me for my work experience placement when I was in the 4th year of secondary school. These are still my smart shoes today (20 years later!) and they still look like new as I only wear then for interviews, occasional external business meetings and funerals! Another factor I am now considering is that of the media - being new to the working world, I had not been exposed to a wide range of successful women at that time and so tv, film and newspapers were a big part of how I learned what a "professional" woman looked like. There are very few women depicted in powerful or successful roles and those that do get shown as successful tend to be well-coiffed, high-heeled, tall, thin, with a full face of make-up. Being neither tall, nor thin, heels help create an illusion of this. I read once that in every US presidential election, the tallest candidate has won - so perhaps this is another reason why one might lean towards favouring heels for interview situations?

I think that overly prescriptive dress codes pervade into wider society and are accepted by and reflected in the mass media. This can then mean that things like a requirement for wearing heels or make-up can be adopted by those in other companies because they have a certain subconscious view of what "success" looks like or how they should be dressing to be seen as professional. This all contributes to the stereotype that there is only one cookie-cutter version of what a successful, professional woman looks like and if you don't fit that then you aren't professional. Scrapping rules on heels and make-up etc will enable more people to be themselves at work and this will provide a wider range of what success can look like. And the media definitely needs to reflect this and show more diversity in terms of how "success" or "professionalism" are represented. Let's see real people with warts and all that got to where they are not because of their shoes but because they knew where they were going in them.

• I've been watching and reading this thread with interest.  In my opinion, high heels are not "necessary and appropriate" in a workplace and Amber's most recent post captures it when she said about how the media portray professional women.  My dad was an engineer who worked in an office and wore a suit and tie every day so I was always brought up to think that to be seen as professional you needed to dress appropriately which was smart attire (dress/skirt and top) and shoes which meant shoes with heels (height undefined).  I also thought that makeup was the norm but I quickly stopped using that when I found that it was not compatible with cycling to/from work!  Since then, there has been a significant change with trousers, smart flat shoes and dress down codes becoming the norm (noting that I've worked in an office environment all my life and only had to wear hard hat, high vis jacket and steel toecaps 4 times and that was because I went to site once and had 3 tours round Savoy Place while it was being refurbished).  Personally I still think that dressing professionally when representing your work/company is really important but how that is defined has changed.

For me, I enjoy wearing high heels as they have become part of my personality and they are part of my wardrobe like my clothes and earrings.  However, I've had more trouble with wearing a skirt/dress and then finding that I have to crawl under/on top of desks to connect a PC or piece of equipment up or after a meeting being offered a trip round a helicopter in refit.  In those cases, high heels are the lesser of my problem!