This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Not such a good advert for women in engineering.....!

I was watching the TV last night and an advert came on...

It started well with a female character saying something on the lines of 'As an Engineer, I know how important it is for systems to work....'  or something like that, I can't remember the exact words she says.

'Excellent!' I thought, 'Someone else banging the women in engineering drum!!'

Until it became apparent that the advert is for constipation relief.... surprise 

Great...

Now all the young girls won't want to be an engineer because female engineers suffer from constipation..... frown

Have the manufacturers of said constipation relief medication merely 'jumped on the engineering bandwagon' or do you think they seriously thought it was a good idea? 

Lisa

• I saw this the other night and had similar thoughts. 

On the one hand, it normalises the idea that women can be engineers - so that's a bonus - but on the other hand I think it's probably not an inspirational image of women in engineering - but maybe that's what we need - A sea of different faces of engineering on TV beyond the usual cool geek, computer hacker or Civil Engineer in an office - perhaps this is the start of a movement wink.

• Kathryn Bain:

perhaps this is the start of a movement wink.

Pun intended? wink

• I saw this advert too and had exactly the same reaction! It looks like the advert has had a heavy edit in the middle and the relevance of the person being an engineer has hit the cutting room floor. The advert just looks weird! "I'm an engineer and I need a poo!" So, so bizarre!

• On the flip side of this though, my favourite female engineer advert is this one: 

Incredibly cool... wink

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I don’t see any image on my iPhone 6s.

edwin
  • Hi Edwin Morton‍ 

There is no image, it's an embedded video from Youtube. It's displaying and playing fine for me on my iPhone 7 (and on  my laptop) so I guess it may be something to do with your phone's settings perhaps?

Lisa