This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Engineer at Uber describes her encounters with sexism

Interesting, but rather sad account of life at Uber for a female engineer. Susan Fowler describes her experiences with sexism and the consequences it had on her career. Shocking to see how unhelpful the HR team were throughout her time with the company and depressing to think that things were not handled better than this in the 21st century! The whole article is worth reading, but a couple of things mentioned were particularly jarring to see...
---

"The HR rep began the meeting by asking me if I had noticed that *I* was the common theme in all of the reports I had been making, and that if I had ever considered that I might be the problem. I pointed out that everything I had reported came with extensive documentation and I clearly wasn't the instigator (or even a main character) in the majority of them - she countered by saying that there was absolutely no record in HR of any of the incidents I was claiming I had reported (which, of course, was a lie, and I reminded her I had email and chat records to prove it was a lie)....When I pointed out how few women were in Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), she [the HR representative!] recounted with a story about how sometimes certain people of certain genders and ethnic backgrounds were better suited for some jobs than others, so I shouldn't be surprised by the gender ratios in engineering. Our meeting ended with her berating me about keeping email records of things, and told me it was unprofessional to report things [such as screen shots of the team manager propositioning me for sex] via email to HR."

---

"Performance review season came around, and I received a great review with no complaints whatsoever about my performance. I waited a couple of months, and then attempted to transfer again. When I attempted to transfer, I was told that my performance review and score had been changed after the official reviews had been calibrated, and so I was no longer eligible for transfer. When I asked management why my review had been changed after the fact (and why hadn't they let me know that they'd changed it?), they said that I didn't show any signs of an upward career trajectory. I pointed out that I was publishing a book with O'Reilly, speaking at major tech conferences, and doing all of the things that you're supposed to do to have an "upward career trajectory", but they said it didn't matter and I needed to prove myself as an engineer. I was stuck where I was. 

I asked them to change my performance review back. My manager said that the new negative review I was given had no real-world consequences, so I shouldn't worry about it. But I went home and cried that day, because even aside from impacts to my salary and bonuses, it did have real-world consequences - significant consequences that my management chain was very well aware of. I was enrolled in a Stanford CS graduate program, sponsored by Uber, and Uber only sponsored employees who had high performance scores. Under both of my official performance reviews and scores, I qualified for the program, but after this sneaky new negative score I was no longer eligible. It turned out that keeping me on the team made my manager look good, and I overheard him boasting to the rest of the team that even though the rest of the teams were losing their women engineers left and right, he still had some on his team."

Read the full blog here: https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

Although sexism is (sadly) all too often a common occurrence in many workplaces, I would hope that HR teams would be more supportive and proactive in tackling these issues. Has anyone encountered similar issues with feeling unsupported by HR or management when encountering similar experiences?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thank you for posting, Amber.  This is appalling treatment and actually, very sad to hear about.  I hope thatsomething positive comes out of it being highlighted.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    So sad! It would have made me feel so helpless. People around me keep telling me to just develop a thick skin, but organisations like companies, universities etc should be the ones protecting  you so that you would not need such thick skin..

It has come down to people getting bullied because of their gender or race, and these same people boast later about the fact that they do not care as they have thick skin and that this is how we all should be. It is almost like blaming the victim..

• Amber Thomas:

Interesting, but rather sad account of life at Uber for a female engineer. Susan Fowler describes her experiences with sexism and the consequences it had on her career. Shocking to see how unhelpful the HR team were throughout her time with the company and depressing to think that things were not handled better than this in the 21st century! The whole article is worth reading, but a couple of things mentioned were particularly jarring to see...

---

"The HR rep began the meeting by asking me if I had noticed that *I* was the common theme in all of the reports I had been making, and that if I had ever considered that I might be the problem. I pointed out that everything I had reported came with extensive documentation and I clearly wasn't the instigator (or even a main character) in the majority of them - she countered by saying that there was absolutely no record in HR of any of the incidents I was claiming I had reported (which, of course, was a lie, and I reminded her I had email and chat records to prove it was a lie)....When I pointed out how few women were in Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), she [the HR representative!] recounted with a story about how sometimes certain people of certain genders and ethnic backgrounds were better suited for some jobs than others, so I shouldn't be surprised by the gender ratios in engineering. Our meeting ended with her berating me about keeping email records of things, and told me it was unprofessional to report things [such as screen shots of the team manager propositioning me for sex] via email to HR."

---

"Performance review season came around, and I received a great review with no complaints whatsoever about my performance. I waited a couple of months, and then attempted to transfer again. When I attempted to transfer, I was told that my performance review and score had been changed after the official reviews had been calibrated, and so I was no longer eligible for transfer. When I asked management why my review had been changed after the fact (and why hadn't they let me know that they'd changed it?), they said that I didn't show any signs of an upward career trajectory. I pointed out that I was publishing a book with O'Reilly, speaking at major tech conferences, and doing all of the things that you're supposed to do to have an "upward career trajectory", but they said it didn't matter and I needed to prove myself as an engineer. I was stuck where I was. 

I asked them to change my performance review back. My manager said that the new negative review I was given had no real-world consequences, so I shouldn't worry about it. But I went home and cried that day, because even aside from impacts to my salary and bonuses, it did have real-world consequences - significant consequences that my management chain was very well aware of. I was enrolled in a Stanford CS graduate program, sponsored by Uber, and Uber only sponsored employees who had high performance scores. Under both of my official performance reviews and scores, I qualified for the program, but after this sneaky new negative score I was no longer eligible. It turned out that keeping me on the team made my manager look good, and I overheard him boasting to the rest of the team that even though the rest of the teams were losing their women engineers left and right, he still had some on his team."

Read the full blog here: https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

Although sexism is (sadly) all too often a common occurrence in many workplaces, I would hope that HR teams would be more supportive and proactive in tackling these issues. Has anyone encountered similar issues with feeling unsupported by HR or management when encountering similar experiences?

@Amber Thomas -  thanks for highlighting this outrageous example of what some women have to deal with in a male dominated environment with an impotent HR management. Thank goodness Susan J. Fowler was able to get another job and move on. The problem of course is that it changes nothing and noone has been brought to account. Uber should be ashamed of themself, and, their unacceptable (and probably illegal) policies. The article should be brought to the notice of their founders Travis Kalanick (who is also their CEO) and Garrett Camp

• Abimbola Akanwo-Hood:

@Amber Thomas -  thanks for highlighting this outrageous example of what some women have to deal with in a male dominated environment with an impotent HR management. Thank goodness Susan J. Fowler was able to get another job and move on. The problem of course is that it changes nothing and noone has been brought to account. Uber should be ashamed of themself, and, their unacceptable (and probably illegal) policies. The article should be brought to the notice of their founders Travis Kalanick (who is also their CEO) and Garrett Camp

This has been brought to the attention of Travis Kalanick. He responded on twitter as follows:
    00e53b5abf72914074bfe4375190c471-huge-tweets.jpg

It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds and if there are any significant changes to company practices that follow...

• Antonia Tzemanaki:

So sad! It would have made me feel so helpless. People around me keep telling me to just develop a thick skin, but organisations like companies, universities etc should be the ones protecting  you so that you would not need such thick skin..

It has come down to people getting bullied because of their gender or race, and these same people boast later about the fact that they do not care as they have thick skin and that this is how we all should be. It is almost like blaming the victim..

I agree. Despite knowing her rights and arguing for recognition of those rights (according to the blog) - with the HR person, who then claimed Fowler was in the wrong for retaining a screen shot of an email propositioning her (her only evidence); being threathened with dismissal - a threat she was told was illegal by at least one manager, who then did nothing further to intervene would make anyone feel helpless. The amount of departmental (HR, Site Reliability Engineering department managers) colluding implied in that blog is staggering.

• Amber Thomas:

Abimbola Akanwo-Hood:

This has been brought to the attention of Travis Kalanick. He responded on twitter as follows:
    00e53b5abf72914074bfe4375190c471-huge-tweets.jpg

It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds and if there are any significant changes to company practices that follow...

Good to see Kalanic's response. If there are no significant changes to the company policies and practices - company policy on intimidation, grievancy, dispute seems to have failed, assuming it exists; procedure to be followed and clear guideline for employees and managers to allegation of intimidation, grievancy or dispute need a review/re-evaluation;  Kalanic will need to explain the rationale and be held accountable in future.

• This story seems to be fading into a much larger tapestry of problems facing Uber (and CEO, Travis Kalanick) at the moment. Aside from the fallout from Susan Fowler's blog, Uber has been accused of operating autonomous vehicles without the appropriate licenses, had more than 200,000 people uninstall their accounts, after #DeleteUber trended on Twitter (after accusations the company was undermining a New York taxi union strike protesting President Donald Trump's refugee ban, later prompting Kalanick to leave Trump's business advisory council to appease the company's employees, users and many immigrant drivers), and is being sued by rival firm Waymo, following accusations an Uber employee stole trade secrets by downloading 14,000 files onto an external hard drive).

Most recently Kalanick has been caught on camera arguing with an Uber employee regarding fares and has allegedly asked Uber's head of engineering, Amit Singhal, to resign after the company said it learned that he had faced a sexual harassment complaint at his former employer which he did not disclose when he started at Uber (Singhal denies the allegations, but has resigned from Uber).

Read more at: 

It will be interesting to see what happens next in the Uber story (and also whether any more resignations are asked for...)
  • And a similar story from another female engineer is also making the news...

A female engineer at Tesla has accused Elon Musk’s car company of ignoring her complaints of “pervasive harassment”, paying her a lower salary than men doing the same work, promoting less qualified men over her and retaliating against her for raising concerns.

A.J. Vandermeyden said that when complaints arise at Tesla about workplace issues or inequality, the response is often: “‘We’re focused on making cars. We don’t have time to deal with all this other stuff.’” Her objections about sexual harassment and unequal pay have only caused her more trouble, according to her complaint. The lawsuit alleges that after she raised concerns in the fall of 2015, management told her that in order to advance her position, she needed to achieve a performance standard in the factory that was unattainable and not expected of male engineers. Despite positive performance evaluations, she felt she had to transfer out of the department in which she was working.

Tesla released a statement saying: “Tesla is committed to creating a positive workplace environment that is free of discrimination for all our employees.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/28/tesla-female-engineer-lawsuit-harassment-discrimination
  • Picking up on the point from both Susan Fowler's blog and AJ Vandermeyden's lawsuit regarding performance reviews, I came across this interesting article which was outlines the differences in the language used for performance reviews for male and female employees...

"105 men submitted 141 reviews, and 75 women submitted 107 reviews. Of the full set of 248 reviews, 177—about 71%—contained critical feedback. However, critical feedback was not distributed evenly by gender. When breaking the reviews down by gender of the person evaluated, 58.9% of the reviews received by men contained critical feedback. 87.9% of the reviews received by women did. Men were given constructive suggestions. Women were given constructive suggestions – and told to pipe down.

The kind of negative personality criticism—watch your tone! step back! stop being so judgmental!—shows up twice in the 83 critical reviews received by men. It shows up in 71 of the 94 critical reviews received by women.

There’s a common perception that women in technology endure personality feedback that their male peers just don’t receive. Words like bossy, abrasive, strident, and aggressive are used to describe women’s behaviors when they lead; words like emotional and irrational describe their behaviors when they object. All of these words show up at least twice in the women’s review text I reviewed, some much more often. Abrasive alone is used 17 times to describe 13 different women. Among these words, only aggressive shows up in men’s reviews at all. It shows up three times, twice with an exhortation to be more of it."

Read more here: http://fortune.com/2014/08/26/performance-review-gender-bias

• Amber Thomas:

This story seems to be fading into a much larger tapestry of problems facing Uber (and CEO, Travis Kalanick) at the moment. Aside from the fallout from Susan Fowler's blog, Uber has been accused of operating autonomous vehicles without the appropriate licenses, had more than 200,000 people uninstall their accounts, after #DeleteUber trended on Twitter (after accusations the company was undermining a New York taxi union strike protesting President Donald Trump's refugee ban, later prompting Kalanick to leave Trump's business advisory council to appease the company's employees, users and many immigrant drivers), and is being sued by rival firm Waymo, following accusations an Uber employee stole trade secrets by downloading 14,000 files onto an external hard drive).

Most recently Kalanick has been caught on camera arguing with an Uber employee regarding fares and has allegedly asked Uber's head of engineering, Amit Singhal, to resign after the company said it learned that he had faced a sexual harassment complaint at his former employer which he did not disclose when he started at Uber (Singhal denies the allegations, but has resigned from Uber).

Read more at: 

It will be interesting to see what happens next in the Uber story (and also whether any more resignations are asked for...)

I came across this LinkedIn article today, on the subject matter..."Caroline Fairchild talked to former Uber engineers to see how rampant the issues Susan Fowler raised were. The answer: very."

Former Uber engineers say sexism and abuse were widespread

www.linkedin.com/.../former-uber-engineers-say-sexism-abuse-widespread-caroline-fairchild