This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

BBC call out for expert women contributors

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
The BBC is looking for women who are experts in their field to become contributors to their programming. The closing date for applications is next Sunday 26th February, with successful applicants invited to a briefing day on 31 March. The application process is relatively straightforward but does involve sending a short two-minute film.

It may be possible for OVPR to support applicants in making their video next week. In particular, Liz Almond (Managing Editor, Office of the Vice-Provost (Research)) l.almond@ucl.ac.uk is keen to hear from relatively early career researchers as it could be a great opportunity for them in terms of career development. People are free to apply independently, but if you would like support in producing the two-minute film, we ask that you please get in touch with Liz.

The areas the BBC is particularly interested in are:

•          International relations and politics

•          Diplomacy

•          Terrorism

•          EU negotiations

•          Local government / social care

•          Politics – particularly from the North of England

•          Policing / security / intelligence / military

•          Senior police officers

•          Law/constitution, particularly Brexit

•          Radicalisation/extremism

•          Women in music – production rather than performance

•          Economics

•          Business

•          Technology

•          Apprenticeship trades, especially building

•          Football

•          Science, technology, engineering and mathematics

•          Health

•          Classical music

Thank you,

Jo
  • Jo,

Do you know if this is open to British expats, or non UK researchers?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Qurat-ul-Ain,

Thank you for the question.  I can't see why it wouldn't be - it may be worth e-mailing  expert.women@bbc.co.uk  to check.

Kind regards,

Jo

• Harriet Windebank:

a little disappointed that there's just one catch all "STEM" and "technology" - there must be thousands of female experts on a huge range of subjects!  "Business" and "economics" also pretty broad, other topics seem more specific.  I fear that if only a few are chosen for each topic, the breadth and depth of STEM will not be represented, which is a shame!

What's to stop the IET decomposing the BBC list into a more approapriate (technologically, academically, industrially) expert list that relevent experts can put their name down against?

• Abimbola Akanwo-Hood:

Harriet Windebank:

a little disappointed that there's just one catch all "STEM" and "technology" - there must be thousands of female experts on a huge range of subjects!  "Business" and "economics" also pretty broad, other topics seem more specific.  I fear that if only a few are chosen for each topic, the breadth and depth of STEM will not be represented, which is a shame!

What's to stop the IET decomposing the BBC list into a more approapriate (technologically, academically, industrially) expert list that relevent experts can put their name down against?

I agree. I think it would be useful to have a box on the profile page of Engineering Communities to indicate any opportunities people are seeking/offering. For example, things like:

• speaker opportunities

• writing opportunities

• mentoring opportunities

• work experience opportunities 

• networking opportunities

• volunteering opportunities

• CPD opportunities

• etc

You could then search within the list for people with specific experience/skills/interest in the thing you want. Please see: https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/917/19928?post_id=96147#p96147 and hopefully this will be available in the future.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Amber Thomas:

Abimbola Akanwo-Hood:

Harriet Windebank:

I agree. I think it would be useful to have a box on the profile page of Engineering Communities to indicate any opportunities people are seeking/offering. For example, things like:

• speaker opportunities

• writing opportunities

• mentoring opportunities

• work experience opportunities

• networking opportunities

• volunteering opportunities

• CPD opportunities

• etc

You could then search within the list for people with specific experience/skills/interest in the thing you want. Please see: https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/917/19928?post_id=96147#p96147 and hopefully this will be available in the future.

This is a  great idea!  Thank you all.

Amber, did anything come of your initial 'new idea'?

Thanks,

Jo

• Not yet, but hopefully if the idea gets enough "likes" it is something that they will look into for the next site upgrade (please like it everyone and hopefully it will rise higher up their list!)