This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

E&T Magazine article: 'Hidden Figures' - uncovering the truth of women and STEM

Just in case you missed it, here is a link to a great article in E&T Magazine about some women in STEM through history: https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/02/hidden-figures-uncovering-the-truth-of-women-and-stem/ 

Enjoy!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Amber Thomas:

Just in case you missed it, here is a link to a great article in E&T Magazine about some women in STEM through history: https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/02/hidden-figures-uncovering-the-truth-of-women-and-stem/ 

Enjoy!

Hi Amber ,

I am really grateful that you recommended the above indicated article . It is really eye opening for the women - men interraction in the engineering in the USA  during 1960's . Although the article included the the information about the history of women in STEM I was really moved by the american-african women-scientist .

I definitely intend to see the film , because  I found that the story of the women shown in the Hidden Figures shown their scientific attitude and the integration in spite of the general rasism segregation .

I give me a great satisfaction that Goble Johnson’s ( one of the person in the film ) talents were powerful enough, and her parents enlightened enough, to propel her to a career undreamed of before for an African-American woman. At the age of 98 she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in 2015 for her contribution to science and advancing the opportunities for African-American women.

Anyway it appears that the film is worth to be seen .

Regards

Grazyna

• Cheers Amber.

Wouldn't it be nice if the IET could organise a screening of the film...? Girls' night out anyone...? :)

Actually, I wonder how hard it would be to organise a screening at the IET and invite members of the other institutions (RAEng, IOP, Ri, IMechE, ICE...)?

Hmm...
    I cannot wait to watch this film!

I am the organiser of the Bristol (and South West) Women In Robotics network. As our next event, we have collaborated with a local cinema so that we will have a screening of the film, followed by discussion and Q&A with women working in Science and Engineering. I chose this event to be public, instead of only for our network, so that we can invite people that are interested in hearing our views, challenges and why not, learn about our work and research.

It is happening on the 15th of March, if you are around, please let me know and I will give you more info.

Abimbola Akanwo-Hood:

Cheers Amber.

Wouldn't it be nice if the IET could organise a screening of the film...? Girls' night out anyone...? :)

Actually, I wonder how hard it would be to organise a screening at the IET and invite members of the other institutions (RAEng, IOP, Ri, IMechE, ICE...)?

Hmm...

Hi Abi,

We actually did have the opportunity to give away some tickets, on two seperate occasions! :)  Most of them went to some of our YWE affiliates.  We were also given an amazing opportunity to play the trailer at the YWE ceremony.  If we are lucky enough to get anymore, I will let you know.  However, I see that Antonia may have some up for grabs!! :)

• Jo Foster:

Abimbola Akanwo-Hood:

Cheers Amber.

Hmm...

Hi Abi,

We actually did have the opportunity to give away some tickets, on two seperate occasions! :)  Most of them went to some of our YWE affiliates.  We were also given an amazing opportunity to play the trailer at the YWE ceremony.  If we are lucky enough to get anymore, I will let you know.  However, I see that Antonia may have some up for grabs!! :)

Cheers Jo.

We tried - Twentieth Century Fox's technical team where keen to show the film at cinemas or venues that they own. :(

• Jo Foster:

We tried - Twentieth Century Fox's technical team where keen to show the film at cinemas or venues that they own. :(

:(

• From hidden figures to Lego figures! Female NASA staff are to be immortalised in Lego.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/01/hidden-figures-no-more-female-nasa-staff-to-be-immortalised-in-lego

• Great news. That's Christmas 2017 pressies/2018 Birthday pressies sorted out for my lot...:)

• Jo Foster:

Many thanks for trying...