This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Women: Like men, only cheaper

Hurray! It’s equal pay day! The day when men and women are finally paid the same… Oh, wait – no, it doesn’t mean that at all. Equal Pay Day actually refers to the day of the year when women stop earning, compared to men.

The current pay gap between men and women in the UK is 13.9%, which means that this year, Equal Pay day falls on November 10th. This is an improvement on last year (November 9th), but is progress being made quickly enough? There are 51 days left of the year – if we only improve one day a year, most people reading this are more likely to see retirement before they see wage parity!

Women are increasingly well educated, so why isn’t this translating into higher pay? In the UK, the aggregate (full and part time) gender pay gap for graduates ten years after graduation is 23% [1] Why do you think this is?

The gender pay gap also varies by occupation and ranges from 3.9% for sales (a decrease) and customer service, to 25.1% (an increase) for skilled trade occupations in April 2015 [2] (such as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, welders, technicians, engineers etc. - you know, those jobs we are trying to get more women into...).

Why, when the 1970 Equal Pay Act has been around for nearly 50 years is there still such discrepancy?

The Government is bringing in mandatory pay transparency rules, which mean that all companies with more than 250 employees will be required to disclose how much they are paying in salaries and bonuses to their male and female staff. There is a further plan for a league table to be produced which will rank the worst offenders. This league table is scheduled for 2018. Come on, Businesses! You’ve got 2 years to sort out these gaps before you are named and shamed!

In the meantime, if you are being paid less than a man and wish to dispute it, you are able to bring your employer to a tribunal – if, that is, you have £1,200 for the upfront fees (brought in by the 2013 Coalition government). Unfortunately, the introduction of upfront fees is likely to deter women from seeking justice over gender wage imbalances, as (being lower paid) they are less likely to have the money to afford the case! [3]

And spare a thought for those in other countries – the worst gender gaps around the world last year were found in South Korea (where women earn 36.6% less than men), Estonia and Japan (26.6%), Israel (21.8%), and the Netherlands (20.5%). The narrowest gap was found in New Zealand, where women earned 5.6% less than men. This was followed by Belgium (5.9%), Luxembourg (6.5%), Denmark (6.8%) and Norway (7%). [4]

Should we talk to our colleagues about how much we/they earn? Many people are taught that it is perhaps impolite to discuss money, but perhaps the not-knowing is compounding the problem? Has anyone here discussed salaries with their colleagues, and if so, did you find that there was a gap? How did you approach the subject?

Aside from mandatory wage lists, are there any other policies or conversations that could be had to reduce and (hopefully) eliminate the pay differences?

Previous UK Equal pay days:
  • 2016:  10th November

• 2015: 9th November

• 2014: 4th November

• 2013: 7th November

​--- --- ---

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I wish this post was public so that I could repost it and share it..
    Dear All ,

I am a person who could not comply about the discrepancy between my pay and men working with me . But I started the work in University during time that it was possible to see the payment scale depended on your qualifications , experience and position I applied .

I knew how much point I could get for each elements on the scale and requested a proper point on the scale . Of course I have to tell you that a lot of change since I started work in England in 1982 . During my academic career a lot of changes . The scale of appointments was abolished and the academic positions filled by people not necessary best qualified but best assessed by the prospective employers in a sense what is cheaper is better .

During my academic career I was always paid the same as men on the same position. I might be the lucky one, but it was true. So do not lose your idea about equality in pay and demand what is correct for you . Happily I am retired now , so I do not need to fight .

Best regards and wishes to all.

​Grazyna

Antonia Tzemanaki:

I wish this post was public so that I could repost it and share it..

Kindly note, you can share the URL to various social media platforms!  This platform is open to IET and non-IET members.  Individuals just need to register, for free, to see all of this platforms content.

Hi Jo,

thanks for letting me know. Just to be clear, when I share the url, people will not be able to view the specific content unless the register (for free). Is that correct?
    You're welcome, Antonia.  Indinviduals may be able to see some of this discussion, without registering but they won't be able to engage with it until fully registered.

Best wishes,

Jo
  • MPs on a select committee have attacked the government for failing to implement reforms aimed at eliminating the gender pay gap. The Women and Equalities Committee said the government had failed to act on its recommendations on tackling the structural causes of wage inequality. The government's response was "inadequate" and "deeply disappointing", the MPs said. The committee has highlighted three areas where it wants the government to justify rejecting its recommendations:
    • MPs said all jobs should be available to work flexibly unless an employer can demonstrate a business case against doing so.

• The committee also wanted a "more effective policy on shared parental leave", with fathers getting three months well-paid paternal leave.

• The committee also recommended a "National Pathways into Work" scheme to help women over the age of 40 back into the labour market.

Committee chair Maria Miller said: "Without effectively tackling the key issues of flexible working, sharing unpaid caring responsibilities, and supporting women aged over 40 back into the workforce, the gender pay gap will not be eliminated. We made practical, evidence-based recommendations to address these issues. They were widely supported by a range of stakeholders including businesses, academics, and unions. It is deeply disappointing that our recommendations have not been taken on board by Government," she added.

Read more on this here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39026022

• Thanks for the link...useful to have.
  • Interesting article in The Telegraph this morning on financial discrepancies ('Why should I end up with a smaller pension than a male colleague?'). Unfortunately, it seems that these differences in income aren't just during work life, but also influence your retirement pot:

"Women receive substantially less in employer pension contributions than men, setting them up for a far poorer retirement, new research has found. It suggests the smaller contributions by firms mean female employees will end up with a pension pot worth an average £47,000 less than their male counterparts. Between 2013 and 2016, men benefited from employer pension contributions worth 7.8pc of their salary each year, compared with 7pc for women."

See: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/should-end-smaller-pension-male-colleague/

• Amber Thomas:

Interesting article in The Telegraph this morning on financial discrepancies ('Why should I end up with a smaller pension than a male colleague?'). Unfortunately, it seems that these differences in income aren't just during work life, but also influence your retirement pot:

"Women receive substantially less in employer pension contributions than men, setting them up for a far poorer retirement, new research has found. It suggests the smaller contributions by firms mean female employees will end up with a pension pot worth an average £47,000 less than their male counterparts. Between 2013 and 2016, men benefited from employer pension contributions worth 7.8pc of their salary each year, compared with 7pc for women."

See: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/should-end-smaller-pension-male-colleague/

It really does make one sit up when seen, quantified in terms of employer's pension contributions and the pension pot worth. On the other hand, in view of the current economic outlook, nobody's pension pot is safe from decimation. 

• Polish MEP, Janusz Korwin-Mikke, explains to the European Parliament why women "must" earn less money than men. In his words, it is because women are “weaker", "smaller" and "less intelligent”.

When I first saw this, I thought that it must be a joke - he had to be being sarcastic, right? Sadly, no. This is what an MEP thinks of half of the population. What a world we live in!

Read more at: ​http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/women-smaller-weaker-less-intelligent-paid-less-janusz-korwin-mikke-polish-mep-right-wing-silesia-a7609031.html