This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Women Engineers on Wikipedia

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Did you know that women engineers are woefully underrepresented on Wikipedia?

The IET Library and Archives team has been been working with academics and practising engineers to make a difference by training as Wikipedia editors. They want to ensure that as many past and present female engineers as possible are given an entry. If you have any ideas on female engineers who merit an entry on Wikipedia, or would like to get involved in supporting the project, please do so by contributing to this important discussion thread or by contacting archives@theiet.org 

• I just took a look and noticed there does not seem to be a page for the IET YWE, not even a mention on the IET page!  The only mention I could find was in the entry for UK Electrical Engineers where one of those listed is a past winner.  I added a heading and couple of lines of text, reworking what is on the IET YWE page.  Perhaps a page about YWE which includes a list of winners would be a good start?  This could provide a jumping off point to individual pages about the winners, women engineers who have inspired them etc.  I suspect a major barrier is going to be those editors who don't like girls in their boy's club so will mark pages for deletion on the grounds of 'Not prominent enough' or 'Unencyclopedic'.

The only woman engineer who came to my mind (Emily Cummins) already has a page.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    This is a great idea Stephen.  Thank you very much for suggesting it!  

We will definitely look into this.

Best wishes,

Jo
  • It just occurred to me that you may want to contact (if you haven't already) Hannah Dee as she does a lot of work with the BCS Women's network.  She gave a talk to the Birmingham branch of BCS a couple of years ago on the rise and fall of women in computing.  Hannah is a  lecturer in computing at Aberystwyth University.