This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Mothers' pay lags far behind men

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Women who return to work after having a baby fall even further behind men in earning power, a report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies has said.

The gap between hourly earnings of the two sexes becomes steadily wider after women become mothers, the IFS says.

Over the subsequent 12 years, women's hourly pay rate falls 33% behind men's.

We would be interested to hear from you on this subject so, let us know your thoughts on this topic.  Do you feel that you may have missed out on a promotion due to returning to work on a part-time basis?  Do you think that this issue is common?  Can you relate to any of the casestudies in this article?

Read more...

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I feel that it should be a consern for all employers in respect of the women who are left behind with the salaries and positions when they return to work . On the end they do not spend enjoying themselves but carrying for the future generations .

I think that it is very unfair situation . Unfortunately I can not offe any suggestions as I do not

have children .

I would support any actions I could be useful to correct such a situation .

Regards
  • It will be interesting to see how long these differences prevail after the mandatory requirement for larger companies to publish gender pay gap information comes into force in 2018. Will naming and shaming the companies with the biggest gaps help to close things up? Considering the Equal Pay Act came into force in 1970 and 46 years later we are still talking about pay inequality, I don't think that progress will be swift!

Women might find that their options are further limited if certain policies come into force. Tory MP Andrea Leadsom has spoken previously of her desire to make SMEs exempt from maternity pay legislation. If you then have a choice of working for an SME without maternity rights of for a larger company that has maternity pay, but a bigger gender pay gap, which one do you go for?