This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Volunteer Required - School of Engineering and Digital Arts at Canterbury

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hello,

I have been contacted by the School of Engineering and Digital Arts at Canterbury.

They are going to be providing a number of talks, to their students during the week of 14th November and are looking for volunteer speakers in the following areas:

BME/BAME experiences in STEM.  The ideal volunteer would be able to talk about their experiences of working in STEM (engineering, digital media, technology)
They would like the presentation to focus on whether they'd faced any challenges or discrimination whilst working in the technology area, and why STEM actually needs more practitioners hailing from BAME/BME backgrounds. 

The other area:

The school are also seeking a female speaker who can address an audience made up of students from the School of Engineering and Digital Arts and the general public (possibly including school children) on the subject of being a woman working in STEM.  It would be good if this person was a practising engineer/technologist - The school offer courses in both digital technologies and in traditional engineering and are very proud of the interdisciplinary nature of their teaching and research.

If you fit the bill and are able to get involved with this volunteer opportunity, please e-mail me at womensnetwork@theiet.org with a brief bio and I will forward to the organiserr.

Kind regards,

Jo

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Kindly note, the School of Engineering and Digital Arts at Canterbury are still looking for a volunteer to help with this opportunity.

Whilst the talks will not take place until the week of November 14th, I would like to have a selection of people to put forward.

Thank you,

Jo
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Kindly note, the organisers now have somebody for this event.  However, they are also looking for a speaker who could talk about having a faith, and working in STEM.  They have a very multicultural student and staff base in their School of Engineering and Digital Arts - including the following represented religions - Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism. 

They would like to find a speaker who could perhaps talk about how their faith meshes with their work in STEM, whether their faith has ever caused them any problems (have they suffered abuse because  of their faith), and basically want to show the diversity of working in engineering and having a faith.

If this is something that you are able to help with, please e-mail me at womensnetwork@theiet.org  

Thank you,

Jo