This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

MSc Candidate Requesting Some Insight

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hello,

I have had a very interesting conversation from an MSc candidate at Johns Hopkins University in Washington DC.  Her thesis research is focused on enabling environments for women's participation in the clean energy sector in the Global North.  She is conducting some research analyzing energy policies, as well as education data, to get a sense of opportunities and disconnect.   

One of the questions that she asked was what the effects of including gender in policy were, in terms of retention of women in the energy sector.  Would anybody reading this be able to share their persepective in the comment section of this thread?  It would be interesting to hear you perspective even if it is not directly linked to the energy sector.

Kind regards,

Jo

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I returned to engineering after a 10 year career break. My return was supported by a funded short course with Open University aimed at women returners to STEM, and a supportive manager who allowed me to work flexibly. These were important factors alongside my drive to succeed in my chosen career . Policy at organisational and individual level played a part.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Dear Rachel ,

understand as I had similar problem but long time ago ,when I arrived to England . What to do depends a lot of the type of engineering you are qualified . I believe that you started the short course at Open University with some idea about your future . I think that you could start with contacting an appropriate engineering Institution to get gereral view about

employment prospect in your area of engineering . Also it is worth looking into possibility of teaching . We engineers are in such good position that can offer mathematics which is in demand due to the shortage ot qualified mathematicians . You shoul really look quaietly what availabilities of employment is , what would you like to do and how your expectations match the reality . From this point you could take some action . I might not offer to you immediate answer but if you like to talk about I could help you as much as I am able to .

Best wishes

Grazyna