This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Working in Robotics and Mechatronics? Introduce yourself!

We'd love to hear more about you and why you've joined the community so here's the place to say hello and tell us a little bit more about yourself. 

Here are some questions to get you started:

• What made you join the Robotics and Mechatronics network?

• What are you hoping to get from the R&M community?

• What aspect of robotics do you find the most exciting?
  • A very warm welcome to our most recent members:

Roberto Geografo‍ 
    Kegbokim Ibok‍ 
    Keriakos Klettas‍ 
    Mike Brown‍ 
    Sinead Balgobin‍ 
    Rupert Young‍ 

It would be great to hear a bit more about yourselves and your backgrounds. smiley
  • Hi Rupert, thanks for introducing yourself and congratulations on your paper! I hope you find the R&M community of interest. Please get in touch to let us know what activities you'd like to see from the network via the discussion forum.
  • Great to hear from you Kegbokim Ibok‍! Welcome to the community smiley
  • Welcome to the Robotics community John Jackson‍ , Alex Lawrence-Berkeley‍ and James Bremner‍!  It would be great to find out a little bit more about you all. What are you hoping to get from the R&M online community? And what aspect of robotics do you find the most exciting?

If you have any thoughts on what you'd like to see the R&M Network deliver please let me know.
  • 524c8177ff0fa8a1362b784e774afdde-huge-black-robot-saying-hello_23-2147491826.jpg

We have lots of new joiners to the Robotics & Mechatronics community!

A very warm welcome to:

Mark Youhill
    Nicholas Valentine‍ 
    Jacobus Hendrik Van Schalkwyk‍ 
    Dr Pushan Kumar Dutta‍ 
    Kok Yau‍ 

Stevie Muir‍ 
    Karl Williams‍ 
    Darren Smith‍ 
    Debbie Smith‍ 
    NITHIN MOHAN‍ 
    Ronald Derrick McLeod‍ 

We'd really like to know a bit more about you. Do you work in the field of robotics or do you just have a keen interest? What is your favourite robot? And what would you like to see from the community?

• Thanks for introducing yourself Mark Youhill and Nicholas Valentine‍. Great to hear more about you both!

Nicholas, glad to see a fellow fan of Simone Giertz on here! :) We'd love to hear some of your topic/event suggestions. We have a discussion post dedicated to this so please join in and add your thoughts there.
  • Former Community Member
    Former Community Member
    Hello everyone am studying Electrical/Electronics with City and guilds of London, they have a training center in Nigeria. I just rounded up level 3 and studying for level 5. i got wind of robotics while studying level 3 and since then been so facinated about it. i want to interact with experts lately am designing a CNC machine and am still stumbling over some interfacing, so i would like pointers.
  • <Hello everyone am studying Electrical/Electronics with City and guilds of London, they have a training center in Nigeria. I just rounded up level 3 and studying for level 5. i got wind of robotics while studying level 3 and since then been so facinated about it. i want to interact with experts lately am designing a CNC machine and am still stumbling over some interfacing, so i would like pointers.>

Hi Teme,

As there are several interfaces involved in a CNC machine, I am wondering which ones you are having your stumbling points over.

The CNC machine will typically have a machine bed where the work peice is bolted down to and two, three of four degrees (X/Y/Z/A) of motion (separate motorised axis).

You have interfaces between the motor and the X/Y/Z drive electronics which may be a stepper motor or servo motors with positional feedback. Each of these, because they are connecting to a motor, of some descroiption, will necessitate some power electronics to provide sufficent power to deal with moving masses. The tool motor (usually designated A) is quite often a variable speed motor that has a very high speed of rotation. Quite often these are brushless DC motors.

The other interfaces will be between your CNC machine controller and the indivdual power electronic modules that drive the motor systems. Finally, there is also the necessary interface between your CAD PC and the CNC controller.

Regarding software, most CNC machines (of the milling variety) use G-Codes or M-Codes. These instruct the CNC controller regarding the specifics of motion for teh tip of the tool and have to be translated into motion for each of the axis'. If you are implementing the CNC controller yourself, you should consider using these codes. See <www.cnccookbook.com/.../> for a list of both G-Codes and M-codes.

Of course, there are other ways of implementing a CNC machine. One could use a fixed tool head and a multi-axis robotic arm to move the work peice.

Happy to hold email conversations on the topic.

regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.
  • Welcome Teme Jumbo‍. Really good to hear more about you. Looks like Paul has given you some great advice so I hope you find the Robotics community useful. If theres anything you'd like to see from us in terms of events, speakers or topics to focus on please do let us know here. :)
  • c66fd0da44a0d76a373bfb8fd2e1a4bc-huge-hello-robot-preview.jpg

A warm welcome to the following new joiners:

Ashvinsing Soorjee
    Teme Jumbo‍ 
    KEVIN DOWNES‍ 
    Abid Akkaparambil‍ 
    Kristian Fogarty‍ 

If you haven't yet done so, please introduce yourself here! We'd love to find out a bit more about you and why you're interested in Robotics. Do you work in the field or just have a fascination with robots? What would you like to see from the Robotics and Mechatronics network? Are there any speakers or hot topics you'd like us to focus on?