This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What activity would you like to see from the Robotics and Mechatronics TPN?

What kind of activity would you like to see from the Network? Are there are any particular subjects or hot topics you would like us to hold an event on? Any speakers who you would be interested to hear from? Let us know here. We'd very much like to hear from you!
  • Hi Gemma, I would also be very keen to hear whether this Network feels there are any subject areas or topics that would benefit from the development of good practice guidance documentation.
  • There are three main areas that need wider discussion and only a small number of people are giving them really serious attention.

1. Robo-Ethics. I know there is work going on in several universities but there are wider areas of interest that should be taking pat in this discussion. Not only does the subject of Robo-Ethics come into the autonomous humanoid or autonomous quadraped forms, but will apply to any autonomous entity including vehicles, vessels, autonomous process control, automated security weaponry.

2. Standards Unification - The feeling that there is a standard for every niche faction of the wider Robotics and Mechatronics purview might make it seem there are too many standards. What do others see as a potential path to unify the standards that apply to such systems.

3. The discussion on the need to get such systems "Right first time, everytime, for all time." Whether academia are teaching the right basic principles that enable graduates to select the best methods for creating and implementing their systems to be dependable.

I will remain interested to see where the discussions go.
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your thoughts! Lots for us to think about there. Robo-Ethics is definitely an area we are looking to delve into this year. In fact, we are running an event in February which has a healthcare theme 'Robot Ethics: Advances and Challenges in Medical Robots'. As you highlighted, the subject covers a far greater field than just healthcare so perhaps we can look to see what other areas we can cover.

I'm sure our Standards team would be very interested to hear your views on the Standards Unification so I'll make sure to pass your comments on to them.
  • Thanks very much for this Nicholas Valentine‍! Great suggestion. We have an network committee meeting coming up soon so we'll have a chat about it then and see if this is something we may be able to create some content around. Are there any specific people or companies that you'd be interested in hearing from?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    As I am working on Colab projects, would be interested in Colab & Coblab safety topics and discussions.
  • Nicholas Valentine‍ no problem at all and thanks very much! I'll pass this on to the exec committee and see what we can do smiley
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi,

It is better to discuss upcoming technologies that can make robots more intelligent.  

And also about problems that occurred in the industry due to the failure of robots.

Thanks.

Kanishka Fernando.