This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Does the North get a raw deal on rail?

The Mayor of Manchester  has argues that the North of England is underserved in terms of rail infrasctructure.

b2d7c9205840ba1f61897ef98b11daf3-huge-train-art.jpg

The figures seem to suggest that this is the case, but does London need the heavy investment on infrastrucutre to allow the nearly 9 million people who live there and the record number of visitors who visit each year to function.  Would more of this investment elsewhere create a joined, modern system?

Figures from BBC

Total government transport spending for England in 2011-2012 was £15.8bn.

That covered all forms of transport.

A third of it went to London, while only a quarter was spent on the North East, the North West, and the Yorkshire and Humber regions combined.

By 2015-16 that had jumped to £24.3bn, and proportionate spending was roughly the same.

No other English region comes close to receiving the amount spent on London - which includes the tube network and recently the Crossrail development.

Living a bit further North than Manchester and in a country with just over 5 million people in total, to me, the central Manchester and Birmingham transport systems are far superior to the Scottish cities.  I am sure that many of you have opinions on this, so let me know.