This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Railway station artwork - have you got any in your local station?

Amazing architecture and artwork is common in railway stations around the world, from the spectacular to the outright peculiar. Take a look below at a few of the most interesting examples from around the globe.

My local station underpass has recently been upgraded, so I will post up what is there.

Have you any works of art in your local station?   Why not post a photo up telling us which station and a bit about the art?

We could poll for the top 10.
  • Below is Kings' Lynn station, hand made repliac totem and benches made locally are deemed by some a work of art.

In the new poster frames an original Britsh Railways welocme to Kings' Lynn poster with the station welcome and timetable done out in the original BR style.

A work of art in my eye!
    27a08b4d89c2cc465b12a7791f1bda20-huge-photo-33333.jpg
  • I liked the wall art at Porto station and the chandliers at Kharkiv station.  There are some tiles on the walls at Charing Cross Station, I'll photograph some of them when I'm next down in London and upload.

• Paul Meenan:

Below is Kings' Lynn station, hand made repliac totem and benches made locally are deemed by some a work of art.

In the new poster frames an original Britsh Railways welocme to Kings' Lynn poster with the station welcome and timetable done out in the original BR style.

A work of art in my eye!
    27a08b4d89c2cc465b12a7791f1bda20-huge-photo-33333.jpg

Thanks Paul.  This does look like a scene from an old film and not 2017 London. 

• Wow, some of these are lovely! Unfortunately we don't have any art at Hitchin train station but I always like admiring the hot air balloon mosaics at Finsbury Park. The artist has said they are to give a feeling of elevation in a very deep tunnel. I'm not sure about that... but I love their colour and whimsy! smiley

022460e4096da830d2f2d9e5e820ecd0-huge-20170327_082742.jpg
  • Saw this  today in the i about the original artwork for the mosaics in Tottenham Court Road station being auction today (17th August)

With price tags of £20-30k I'm not sure many of here will be partaking in the auction (!) but the designs are very pretty to look at!

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/people/eduardo-paolozzis-designs-london-tube-mosaics-auctioned-edinburgh/

• Is it me?  The links in Natalia's post don't work for me - and I'm REALLY curious cheeky

Anyone help?
  • Joanne Longton‍ it didn't seem to work for me either but you can copy and paste the link into your browser to check it out! smiley
  • Joanne Longton‍ I updated the links, so they should work now.  Impressive, but hefty pricetag and very difficut to fit into your normal home.
  • Very impressive - but as you say, a tad expensive!

I don't know if it is the same for everyone, but as I was reading the article, there was an advert on the right hand side for a budget hotel chain which has a rather annoying jingle on their tv adverts - which I now cannot get out of my head frown

• Well, I have finally been to my train station, so can add my artwork images.

This is the the artwork in the newly refurbished underpass at Kilmarnock Station.

http://www.waveparticle.co.uk/kilmarnock-connections-for-kilmarnock-rail-station-underpass

WAVEparticle (art organisation) was commissioned to create the artwork to commemorate the history of the Ayrshire town.

The design shows stories and pictures to captures the town’s proud history as a hub of industry, as well as more personal memories from residents, past and present.  

5c8eca7316df6e0b94a5ecc8ea027a54-huge-andrew-barclay.jpg

Andrew Barclay founder of locomotive builders Andrew Barclay Sons & Co.  

A. Barclay, Sons and Co of Caledonia Engine Works, Kilmarnock was a steam and later diesel locomotive builder.

Andrew Barclay was 25 years old when he set up a partnership with Thomas McCulloch in the manufacturer of mill shafts in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland. A couple of years later that he branched out on his own in the manufacture of his patented gas lamps.

1840 He set up workshops specializing in the manufacture of winding engines for the local coal mining industry, however the money from the gas lamp patent sale was never paid and the company and sequestration came the following year.

f91b4dab84ef806cd1ebf767b3e65252-huge-history-and-railway-line.jpg

Kilmarnock and Troon Railway was the first railway line in Scotland authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1808.

29ee23f798140645ab0395f5942ea2b9-huge-industry.jpg

Showing the old Kilmarnock baths (which was built in 1939 and had Britain's first wave-making machine built by glenfield & Kennedy), BMK and Massey Fergusons.

73c5ada53d90b5bab3a511eaa6c831ad-huge-sir-alexander-fleming.jpg

Sir Alexander Fleming

Born on 8 August 1881 at Lockfield near Darvel, Ayrshire, the son of a farmer, he was educated first at the village school and later at Kilmarnock Academy.  Scottish physician, biologist, pharmacologist and botanist. His best-known discoveries are the enzyme lysozyme in 1923 and the world's first antibiotic substance benzylpenicillin (Penicillin G) from the mould Penicillium notatum in 1928, for which he shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1945 with Howard Florey and Ernst Boris Chain

f8aafe98fecdea7b6995e7d06e0e2d98-huge-thomas-morton.jpgThomas Morton

Born in Mauchline, in 1783, the inventor and scientist, Thomas Morton is an important figure in the scientific development of south west Scotland. His invention of a barrel loom revolutionised carpet making and brought much prosperity to the area. Morton was also Instrument Maker to Sir John Ross the Arctic Explorer. 

Thomas Morton's interest in telescope construction led him to study astronomy. In 1818, he built an astronomical observatory in Kilmarnock, furnished with instruments which he had made, and which was open to the public.

ab9037b6678ded559e84fe375a5a7ae8-huge-lord-boyd-orr.jpg
    Lord Boyd Orr - The Nobel Peace Prize 1949

John Boyd Orr
     (September 23, 1880-June 25, 1971) was born in Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland. Having begun his education in the village school, John at the age of thirteen was sent to Kilmarnock Academy,

attachments.zip