This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Welcome and Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the Railway discussion page on Engineering Communities!

This is a thread to introduce yourself to your fellow network members. We’d love to hear more about you so here are a few questions to start you off:

Name:
Brief career history:
What interests you about railway engineering
Other interests:

• Hi, I am Ray Butchart and work as a Tech Dir with a company called Setec Ltd, in UK. Have been with the rail industry since 1993; first on track with Maintenance Team out of York, then the Faulting Team. Joined the BR Signalling & Telecommunication (S&T) training division and became a support trainer, then a full time trainer for Signalling. Now deliver a range of maintenance Signalling courses and also Signalling Technology at Basic and Intermediate Levels. Also Level Crossing (LX) Maintenance and LX Design. Have delivered to school leavers Basic Signalling courses and 'Introduction to Signalling' to the Graduate Training programs for several large companies. Have worked with LUL delivering Maintenance and Engineering Skills.

Previous to that was employed within the Royal Air Force for 22yrs in aircaft engineering and engineering (workshops) support.

Enjoy downhill skiing and I am a sports diving (SCUBA) instructor; been diving for last 49 yrs. Avid reader and like photography.
  • Hello, I am G S Tuteja. I recently retired from Indian Railways as Chief Signal & Teleocmmunication Engineer of Western Railway. I am an Electronics Graduate with post Graduate qualification in Industrial Engineering specializing in Operations planning and control, Project management, Management information systems having experience of 37 years in Indian Railways in Signal and telecommunication department performing Multi-disciplinary role covering Operations & Maintenance of signalling systems, safety management, Project management, Personnel Management, Budgeting and cost control. 

Have over 10 years experience devoted to Operation and maintenance of Signalling & Telecommunication infrastructure on dense suburban sections of Western and Central Railways in Mumbai metropolitan area.

During stable career of  37 years with Indian Railways have worked in diverse geographical territories and managed large-scale complex projects (Total value more than ` 8500 Million) right from inception stage to final commissioning covering all aspects of project procurement, monitoring of execution under tight targets, leading large teams of Engineers/Technicians. The projects executed include – Re-signaling for Doubling of existing sections, Gauge Conversions involving Relay Interlocking/Electronic Interlocking, Automatic Signaling schemes on Suburban lines, Automatic Warning Systems, Optical Fibre Communication Systems, Digital Microwave systems, Digital Electronic Exchanges, Data Communication network for Passenger Reservation system, Unreserved Ticketing Systems etc.

I Have been nominated on various expert working groups for Audio Frequency track circuits, Administrative and Data communication networks by Ministry of Railways. I Have presented papers on diverse fields of Railway Signaling, Optical fiber communication systems, Project management, Contract Management in various forums.

• Hello All,

My name is Amber Thomas and I am a Commissioning Editor with the IET, working on Engineering and Technology Reference (an online collection of peer-reviewed, industry based technical articles and case studies). I joined this group to find out more about rail engineering. I would love to connect with members of this group who might be interested in writing or reviewing articles on rail topics, or who might be able to have an informal chat and give me more of an overview of the industry and a nod towards any important topic areas I should be considering. 

Lovely to "meet" the members of this group, albeit electronically, and I look forward to speaking with or working with some of you in the future. If anyone in this group is interested in writing, please visit/join the author community (https://communities.theiet.org/communities/home/534) or contact me directly to discuss further.

With good wishes,

Amber

Commissioning Editor: Engineering & Technology Reference

T:  +44 (0)1438 765536

E:  athomas@theiet.org

Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage, SG1 2AY, United Kingdom

• Welcome
    Amber,

Nice to know you
    and I am a senior trainer within the rail industry. I have been
    delivering various types of Railway Training, including LUL since
    1993 then under BR.