This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Real radar engineering - Range resolution - How to test for search radars?

I am involved in the development of a number of radar systems. For one radar we are coming to the point of proving the system meets its requirements and have a difference of opinion regarding the test criteria.

From a purely theoretical view it is a function of pulse width post pulse compression. Range resolution is also often loosely spoken of as the range cell size. But two flat plates separated by a distance of one range cell will not be distinguishable on a radar display from one extended target covering two range cells. Is it true to say a radar has a resolution of X metres if two flat plates separated by X+1 metres can only be 'resolved' as two separate targets by moving them both away from the radar until the range cell boundaries lie in just the right place, when at all other ranges they are indistinguishable from a single target covering two range cells? What is a fair test to determine the real-life range resolution of the radar?
  • Thanks for posting  your query.  Can anyone in the community help?

I will also post this to the Linkedin group to see if anyonce can advise.

Thanks

Lynsay
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Sorry Jim, I haven't logged on for a while and missed this.

You are quite right - the maximum resolution of a radar is defined by the bandwidth of the pulse - but the actual resolution can be much lower.

With range gating as you describe you would not be able to resolve the two plates.

Darren