This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Switchgear Ingress protection – BS EN/IEC 60529 IP Ratings

Is there a document available that provides clear guidance on appropriate IP ratings for electrical enclosures within the varying environments they may be installed. I’m aware Beama and varying manufacturers give a good guide to IP ratings, but was looking for something more comprehensive.

With regards to switchgear or control panel specifications, it’s common to see IP ratings requested that I believe are greater than required, for the environment that the kit is being installed within. My feeling is that the wording in the standard e.g. IPX1 ‘drops’, IPX4’ splashed’, leads the specifier to over cautiously select a rating for an environment above what the standards intended application is. When you look at the detail within the tests for these particular ratings the volume of water is significant, against what the words would suggest, approximately 1 ltr per square foot for IPX1 and 100 ltrs used over duration of IPX4 test.

Appreciate that there are plenty of harsh environments, and equipment should be specified appropriately, however, typically switchboard or control panels are installed in sealed building, with controlled access, some form of heating and reasonably well controlled environment, yet IP ratings are chosen that if anything are more likely to cause failure over time from heat, due to ventilation issues.

Ideally an annex to the standard, providing a list of examples of appropriate IP rating for particular installation would be beneficial. An owner can still specify a higher rating at their preference, but with clearer guidance.

Any reference literature or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi William

Ingress Protection (IP) can be problematic to a system if the required type is not put in the right place . Please check:- (i) The Manufacturer's Manual of the Breaker under discussion. (ii) The Book - Practical Industrial Data Communication: Best Practice Techniques by Deon Reynders & others. Thanks. Y Abdulmumini
  • Hi William, this is an interesting topic you raise. I work as a consultant engineer, and our clients often have electrical standards that we design to (sometimes without deeper thinking about whether the requirement in the standard is truly necessary).

i've actually just written a contractor scope of works requiring them to build an IP54 rated indoor switchboard (client's standard). This is a small site, so heat generation isn't an issue, but I am curious now to see what switchboard cooling would look like with an IPx4 rating. For this particular site, the switchboard is inside a pump room that could feasibly have water sprays from valves, pipe fittings

etc, so I think it is an appropriate rating. 

Yusuf, thanks for the book reference. It's useful to have a summary of industrial networking technologies like that. However, I could only find a single page about IP ratings, with no commentary as to the suitability of them to different conditions - and nothing about switchboards. Is there a particular section you were referring to?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Manish

Thank you very much for a more comprehensive submission. Y Abdulmumini