This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Energy Crises in Pakistan and Its Optimized Solution

Hello

I have just joined this TPN.  I am volunteering the IET at Islamabad LN.  We are commencing our event i.e. a Technical Lecture on subject topic at Islamabad on 2nd Sep 2016.  Pakistan is suffering a lot now a days with great load shedding due to lack of energy.  I am very much interested to know whether this TPN has done anything on said topic or not.  Would this TPN like to link up with us at our event, please.  The IET LN Islamabad is looking for any expert advice / active participation from this TPN.

Any comments or suggestion will be higly appreciated.  Thank you and regards.
  • Hello Jono

Thank you very much for your very positive response.

Let me introduce about the Energy / Power Management System of Pakistan.  The main source of power generation is through Hydel.  Others include Thermal, Coal, Oil, Solar and Wind which are comparatively very small units working under public private partnerships.

The Ministry of Water and Power, Pakistan controls the power generation, distribution and Tariff /Billing matters.  I would like to encourage to visit all organizations websites under the MoWP, Pakistan.

Currently, short fall is 6000 to 8000MW.  Tariff is very high.  6 to 12 hours load shedding is being done in urban and rural areas.  

There is another Ministry of Planning, Development and Reforms, Pakistan who makes plans for Govt. of Pakistan.

We may go in more detail later on.  Thank you.
  • The organization Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) looks after mainly the Dams.

The organization National Transmission and Despatch Company (NTDC) looks after the main Transmission Lines from Dams to Grid Stations.

The organizations; 

responsbile for the local supply of electricity in their respective regions.

There are other organizations who deals the Tariffs and Alternate Energy Development etc.

There is a great social will but the political will is doubtful, let me say.   The Govt. is taking loans from the IMF and IMF forces the Govt. to increase the electricity tariffs and Taxes on it.  The Govt. is not willing fully to overcome the electricity shortfall due to their own personal interest, it is the general perception here.  But despite of all this, we would like to give a solution at local or at Govt. Level to overcome this situation from the platform of The IET. wink

Thank you.

• One more thing but very special thing, i forgot to mention, is the Nuclear Power Plants regulated by the Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority.  There are six nuclear power plants are in operation but these are very small level.  It is worth mentioning here that the international nuclear community are not cooperating with Pakistan to increase the capacity of existing plants or to establish new neclear power plants, contrary to India.  More Nuclear Power Plants in Pakistan may play a vital role in overcoming the existing power shortfall.  The people of Pakistan are suffering a lot even up to deaths due to heat whose effect increased exponentially by the heavy load shedding.

Thank you.