This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cyber Security in the Media Value Chain

At IBC there was an interesting panel session in the main conference this morning - "Safety in Numbers" - about cybersecurity risks to the broadcast chain, but in this case primarily at the production end.  Interestingly there didn't seem to be any recognition of the industry bodies set up to tackle piracy (another form of cyber attack of course) at the broadcast / distribution end and people seemed rather over optimistic over how much progress has really been made in securing studio assets.  Many of us (corroborated by some of my discussions on the floor of the exhibition today) certainly share this view!  What do others think?  Really keen to hear peoples' views and to get a discussion going in this area.
  • Interesting, especially given that amount of "prosumer" equipment and cloud services in this area. I doubt that there is much special protection over and above what office grade PCs and cloud service provide. I wonder what the threat models are though? Isn't it still easier to rip DVD or sports streams from a STB?  

One particular threat does occur to me and it's a good excuse to tell an anecdote....  I was in the BBC news control room ("SCAR") when John Major was caught on an open mic calling some of his cabinet colleagues "bastards". The initial reaction of management was to ask who had leaked this, until pointed out that is was a pool feed which NBC were relying via satellite and in the clear (normal practice at the time.)

By the way, there is also a lesson here about open mics!