This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What is the best piece of career advice you've ever been given?

If you were asked to give just one piece of advice to a young person wishing to seek a career in control & automation fields, what would it be?   We already have a discussion thread started by someone looking to change careers - so I'm really looking forward to all your input.   Who knows, maybe we can turn it into a top 10 tips blog posting?
  • Great advice Geffrey - heard that quite a lot over the years!
  • From a non-engineer perspective, the person that has asked the question is already doing one of my top tips which is ask someone that is already doing the job what it is really like - it's the best way to understand what the expectations are.

I also advise members that are seeking new career options or career changes to read job descriptions, see what is out there and what they are interested in because although there is one job title "control and automation engineer" there are a number of jobs that can fall under this category and many different opportunities to follow.  If you're seeking a career change it's important to consider what it is that you like about current jobs, and what it is you are looking to get out of a new job role....otherwise the change may not be a positive one.
  • Have fun!  This is the advice I give all my mentees, we spend most of our time at work and if you're not enjoying what you do you need to go and do something else.  There is a follow up to this which is that if yuo enjoy 80% or more of your job then that's success.