This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Welcome and Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the Internet of Things (IoT) network discussion page on Engineering Communities!
This is a thread to introduce yourself to your fellow network members. We’d love to hear more about you so here are a few questions to start you off:

Name:
Brief career history:
What interests you about IoT:
Other interests:

• Name: Philip Derbyshire

Brief career history: Scientific background by education. Joined IBM 4 years ago and been working on IoT in some form ever since. Last year has been in a dedicated IoT role across all sectors. Joined the IET over 2 years ago.

What interests you about IoT: Perfect blend of software and hardware. Really enjoy the cloud / IT part but equally love getting a soldering iron out once in a while.

Other interests: 3D printing, photography, technology, rugby
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hello everyone, my name is Trevor
    My background is electronics (analogue and digital), firmware, NPD.  I have been freelance for several years, primarily whilst doing a Master Degree part time - I'm happy to say I've successfully completed that.
    At the moment I'm interested in the physical layer of IOT in particular using LPWAN to gain access to the Cloud. 
    I'm also interested in live music, cycling and the great outdoors.

Name: Athanasios (Arthur) Baoustanos
    Brief career history: An Electrical Engineering background (backed by an MBA) that has taken me through the entire 'Data Management Value Chain' from Data Aquisition in Process Control & Instrumentation (SCADA, DCS, PLCs) and Automatic Identification & Data Capture/Collection Systems (Bar Codes, RFID, vision) to Transaction Processing Systems to Storage and Analytics (BI, OLAP, Data Mining). 
    What interests you about IoT: The flood of data that the IoT creates by bringing together operational technology (OT) with information technology (IT) to feed data analytics that uncover correlations/trends/patterns to create value in any organisation. 
    Other interests: Helping engineer a better world while having fun along the way.
  • Name: Russel Evans

Career: An Electronic and Electrical Engineering background. I am currently a Director of an MEP Design Consultancy in the Construction industry.

Interests in the IoT: I have an MSc in Telecommunicaitons & Computer Networks which drives my interest in the IoT and how they interact with buildings, cities and the people within them.

Other interests: ​Family, Cooking, Gadgets

Name: Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino (my parents insisted on the longest name possible)
    Brief career history: First distributor of the Arduino in the UK in 2007, founder of Good Night Lamp (connected lamps for your global family), consultant, speaker and run the London Internet of Things meetup since 2011 (2nd biggest meetup in the world around this topic)
    What interests you about IoT: Everything! 
    Other interests: Trying to keep my knees in some sort of reasonable shape, Japan, design.
    Name: Jim Marshall
    Brief career history: Engineer with MBA, started as a controls engineer, moved in to sales and consultancy before working in energy management from 2002 and demand response since 2009. I've been involved with M2M, which is now classed as IoT for a lot of the last 8 years due to getting live data from customer sites to modify electricty consumption to help balance the electricity grid in the UK.
    What interests you about IoT: To develope a system that unlocks electricity consumption flexibility to generate new revenues for both the customer and supply company
    Other interests: Rugby
    Name: Stelios Christodoulou
    Brief career history: Communications/Signal Processing background. Spent a couple of years as an embedded software engineer, then worked on processing and analysing satellite remote sensing data for another couple of years. Spent most of this decade working in Inmarsat (mobile satellite communications) doing data analysis for satellite resource management. 
    What interests you about IoT: M2M, connected aeroplanes,ships and cars, network resource usage patterns. Geolocated data analysis, Big Data.
    Other interests: Guitar, Music Technology.
  • Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far, good to find out more about people! Keep em' coming!
  • Welcome Amit Chatterjee‍ and Daksh Gupta‍ who both joined the community in the last couple of weeks!

6828e725c087202c5eff1fbbc855915d-huge-welcome-image-1.png

• Welcome to our new members in the first half of July smiley

Isaac Nyirenda‍ 
    KONSTANTINOS KOUMARELAS‍ 
    Nigel Mehdi‍ 
    MARIA KOGIA‍ 
    Simon Harrison‍ 
    Ipyana David Maseko