This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

APN setting in IoT devices?

Dear IoT experts,

I run into a problem about setting APN in IoT devices... 

We know that a correct access point name (APN) is needed to be set on a mobile phone or IoT device in order for the device to get mobile data access. The APN should already be present in device's database, while inserting a SIM card on the device will enable the device to check the "APN Control List" on the SIM to select the right APN. Otherwise, just like we are doing on the travelling SIM, we need to manually input the APN on the our phones. 

There are a few questions:
  • IoT devices are typically not big brands like our mobile phones. How would the devices have the correct list of APN? And often we wish to have private APN for specific purpose. 

• We are also talking about thousands of IoT devices, so if we need to update the APN of the devices, is there an effective way to do so?

• The IoT devices would also be roaming. I think there is a way to "convert" the APN while at home network, but it seems difficult to do so while the device is roamed elsewhere. Any idea to solve the roaming case?

Kindly correct me if any of my thinking above is wrong. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

BR// Dominic
  • Dominic,

Typically IoT devices do not have a human interface and the original manufacturer will not know to what geography the device will ultimately be shipped too and what Mobile Network Operator (MNO) the device will be camped upon. As such, the device must be capable of being configured remotely by the MNO.

APNs are numerous and I've never seen a database of all possible APNs, new ones are created each day and there isn't a reliable manner to update those. Retail devices (such as Android & Apple) will contain operator lists, based upon the Country Code (CC) and Mobile Network Code (MNC) of the largest operators but even these lists are not comprehensive, you only have to look at the US MNO market to know that there are numerous MNOs and most of the regional MNOs in the US are often over looked.

Regarding a private APN, unless you have a specific agreement with an MNO, a private APN will not work either. As you'll know, an APN resolves to a specific IP address of a network element, either a GGSN or a P-GW and unless the MNOs DNS platform is specifically configured for this private APN, it will not work.

There are two methods of applying APNs to an IoT device. The first is via SMS, essentially an SMS that configures the device with the appropriate APN or a new technology known as eUICC, where the IMSI, security keys and other pertinent information from the network can be remotely pushed to the SIM card on the device. Both methods are know as Over the Air (OTA).

Happy to help further if you need it.

Regards,

Jim Croal
  • Thank you Brian and Jim for your advice.

I am actually working for an MNO, and thinking how best to support any enterprise customers who require global IoT services. Setting the APN on the devices seems to bring inconvenience to some of the customers. So your advice will help me thinking how to improve the service. Thanks again!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I'd agree with previous comments. However for IoT devices I don't think it is common for MNOs to set APNs in the device, as this requires tight coupling of USIM on the device with its other modules. Usually these devices' backend server will do such APN reconfiguration, via SMS or packet connection (may be set up with an initial default APN).

I think your enterprise customer may not have a deep engineering knowledge for such OTA configurations. Or they may have outsourced the IoT device and network operations. So they feel uncomfortable to change it. If it is true I'd suggest to engage with your customer's operation or product team, who can loop in the device manufacturer to tell what is the designed way to update APNs.

Regards

Yalou