This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

World's Worst Top Ten Roads

I knew the Cat & Fiddle Road in Derbyshire was dangerous, but I hadn't realised it had made it into the world's worst ten roads. Bit of a surprise as its the way I always travel when visiting Buxton and have been on the road in all kinds of weather, although you do have to take care when heading down into Buxton or Macclesfield from the road. What's your view on this list, are there any roads you think have been left out that should have been included, or have you personal experiences that you'd like to share of driving on these roads?
  • I live in Macclesfield and quite often travel on the Cat and Fiddle road when going east or coming back. It is quite a bad road with lots of sharp bends and can often be blocked in the winter months with snow.

It used to be and may still be the case that lots of bikers went over that way at weekends but I'm not sure how many of the accidents and fatilities were from this group.

More recently average speed cameras have been installed at the start and end and so this has helped to keep the speed down a bit. I did read in the local paper some time back that oil had been deliberately put onto the road. This would seem to be some sort of vendetta.

• Thanks William, thats interesting to hear.  I don't think there's as many bikers using the route now that the speed cameras have been installed, they must have found another route to Matlock Spa thats more fun to ride.  I recall reading somewhere that there were as many accidents involving other forms of transport as there were bikers.  I've only ever seen one accident involving a biker and that was last year, but luckily he'd sustained nothing more than a broken leg so came off lightly in terms of injuries compared to what could have happened.  Most of the bikers tend to grease up their bikes for the winter and I can't say I blame them.  

I have noticed a big increase though in the number of cyclists using the road in all weathers, which surprised me as in winter its not a road I would want to use as a cyclist as you can get some pretty serious sudden turns in the weather up there on the top near the Cat & Fiddle pub.