This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Diesel vehicles and emissions - joined up thinking.

I am somewhat amazed by the latest attacks on diesel vehicles, particularly cars, as being (singly!) responsible for the alleged high levels of "pollution" found in our city centres. For the moment I will not discuss the dangers from the alleged pollutants, but simply the reasons for the levels found in London. In studying the report by the Mayor of London I see that about one third of the NOx levels is attributed to vehicles, and that this is worst in the areas where traffic is often stationary or slow moving. This result is hardly suprising as the measures taken to minimise such emissions are not very effective when there is not a reasonable exhaust temperature to operate the catalysts! It would seem to my simple engineering mind that the solution is to make sure that traffic is travelling at a reasonable speed at all times, perhaps 30mph, where there is at least a good chance to make the catalyst etc. operate properly. There is a fairly small window of operating temperature where this happens, and the maximum has to correspond with the engine at maximum power for obvious reasons.

There is a current feeling in the Department of Transport that reducing traffic speeds as much as possible is a "good" idea, being given the usual reason that "it improves road safety". There is very little if any evidence that the 20mph speed limits actually reduce accidents, and whilst they may reduce the severity of injuries in some cases the number of such reductions is unknown. If as is claimed thousands of people a year die from traffic pollution (a figure which I find difficult to believe), it is clearly not a good idea to slow traffic at all, in fact it should be allowed to travel faster as the lesser of two evils!

If diesel fuel were largely unused as a transport fuel, and were replaced with an even larger quantity of petrol, there would be a severe problem for the oil refineries, who would want the large gas oil fraction? The suggestion that we move to electric vehicles is commonly made, but this ignores the huge cost of both new vehicles and the provision of about 50% more generating capacity which is permanantly availabe for vehicle charging, along with the question of the fuel source. The loss of tax to the exchequer would also be very significant, and undoubtedly the overall economy would suffer too as increased costs worked through the system, again can no one see that this requires joined up thinking at the highest levels, and some significant input from Engineers and much less from politicians!
  • I don’t think that anyone is saying that diesel vehicles are singly responsible for the high levels of pollution (inverted commas removed – the pollution is real) found in our city centres. But they are a major contributor. And unfortunately, many people, like myself, bought a diesel vehicle because they emit less CO2 and we thought we were being environmentally friendly. Furthermore, there seems to be no likelihood of being able to retrofit a device which could reduce the NOX and particulate emissions.

As regards the incorrect statement that “There is very little if any evidence that the 20mph speed limits actually reduce accidents, and whilst they may reduce the severity of injuries in some cases the number of such reductions is unknown”, I would refer you to the website of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, specifically http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/drivers/speed/inappropriate/. To summarise the relevant data, “The risk of a pedestrian who is hit by a car being killed increases slowly until impact speeds of around 30 mph. Above this speed, the risk increases rapidly, so that a pedestrian who is hit by a car travelling at between 30 mph and 40 mph is between 3.5 and 5.5 times more likely to be killed than if hit by a car travelling at below 30 mph”. (Source: “Relationship between Speed and Risk of Fatal Injury: Pedestrians and Car Occupants”, Road Safety Web Publication No.16, Department for Transport, September 2010).

There is also much evidence worldwide that “thousands of people a year die from traffic pollution”, whether you believe it or not.  According to the report “Cleaner Air for London: Progress report on the delivery of the Mayor’s Air Quality Strategy” of July 2015, page 17, “Combining the PM2.5 and NO2 figures creates a total figure of 9,400 equivalent deaths brought forward”.  Of course, it is a complex picture – and refers to premature deaths (as well of course as health impairments), rather than instantaneous deaths as in road traffic accidents.

So whether or not it is a good idea to slow traffic at all is a complex question.

Equally complex, as you point out, is whether we move to electric vehicles – though that does seem to be the trend, albeit slowly.  The loss of tax to the Exchequer can be addressed by introducing road pricing – “pay as you drive” – with the charge rates related to the vehicle emission characteristics, thereby addressing pollution. In Germany the truck tolling charge is related to emission class, with the result that the vehicle fleet is now much cleaner. Congestion, and slow vehicle speeds, can be addressed by varying charges according to time of day, with higher charges at busy times; and reduced congestion reduces transport costs. Road pricing is proven to work, and the technology is here and is readily available.

But you are right that all this requires joined up thinking at the highest levels, with significant input from Engineers, not to mention significant political courage!

• David and John Walker‍  - thank you both for your interesting and informative post and response on this very topical issue at the moment.  With the recent news announcement about the additional charges for diesel vehicles entering the city of London and 20 other cities in the UK, it would be interesting to have feedback and thoughts from other community members in this discussion thread.

I wonder how many people will be switching to public transport when this goes through or looking to trade in their diesel cars?