This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Hello and introductions

Welcome to the Nuclear Engineering (NE) network discussion page.

I have created this thread to give you a place to introduce yourself to the network.

Here are a few suggestions:
  • Name:

• Career/ background:

• What interests you about NE?

• Any topics you would like us to explore?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi everyone,

I am a Mechanical Engineer, working as MEP coordinator for the Building and Health care facilities. Of-course there is MEP application in nuclear facilities and i believe that wil be sophisticated, I wonder if I could know the specific engineering scope related to MEP and how those works and related technical documents.

Thankd and regards

Md Ashraful Alam

MEP Engineer

• Dear Andrea
    Thank you for refreshing this forum.

I am hoping that 2019 will see this embryonic TPN gain momentum - dare I say, achieve critical mass - having started the idea some 4 years ago.

My name is Barry Brooks.

I was a nuclear engineer in submarines in the Royal Navy and, although I moved onto other sorts of enigneering, have retained an interest in seeing the civil nuclear sector grow in the UK. I see that the IET, with our very broad interests across all engineering sectors, as the ideal forum to bring together engineers who already work in, or could be attracted to work in, the nuclear sector. In additon, there are opportunites for the nuclear sector to learn how other sectors tackle common issues (eg approaches to designing and assuring: high-integrity safety critical software; control systems; long-life equipments in inaccessible or inhospitable envirornments; and risk management).

With uncertainty in the UK's civil nuclear programme at the moment, the IET can bring together informed debate to assist decision-makers in determining the optimum solution for the benefit of society.
  • Hi Barry. Thank you for your response. Do feel free to make any suggestions from your experience! Do you mind if I use your description to create a committee bio? 

Hi Ashraful. Would you like to create a post in the forum to discuss your question further?
  • yes, happy to help, Andrea
    Hi Andrea,

It would be appreciated if I could know the technical scope of MEP Engineer (Building and infrastructure field) in Nuclear facilities. Specifically if I could know the systems and their types used in Nuclear facilities.

Thanks and regards

Md Ashraful Alam

• Md. Ashraful Alam:

Hi Andrea,

It would be appreciated if I could know the technical scope of MEP Engineer (Building and infrastructure field) in Nuclear facilities. Specifically if I could know the systems and their types used in Nuclear facilities.

Thanks and regards

Md Ashraful Alam

Hello Ashraful,

I have created you a post to hopefully get more reach https://communities.theiet.org/communities/discussions/viewtopic/530/978/23644

Many thanks

Andrea

Hello,

I am Corrina Thomson, a recently qualified ICT Engineer and STEM Ambassador.

I have many years experience writing about engineering, including for Nuclear Engineering International and E&T Magazine.

Feel free to message me with any article ideas.

• Hi I'm Paul, with a control system background mainly working in the nuclear sector. I'm working for Wood Nuclear and looking at OT cyber security.
    Hi everyone,

I am Mohammad Abdul Mateen and I am mechanical engineering student at the University of Liverpool. Recently I visited UK Atomic Energy Authority with our University;s Coding and Robotic Society and I loved the field in which they are working.
  • Hi,

I'm Paul, I'm a Mechanical Team Lead for the Power, Process and Nuclear division of Mott MacDonald Ltd. 

My involvement with the nuclear industry has been designing auxiliary systems for nuclear power plant, coolant systems for large scale experimental nuclear facilities and leading the mechanical and process engineering of these systems.

Nuclear engineering is a fascinating area of engineering with many facets, the variety and potential complexity is what interests me.

Topics would be SMRs, fusion reactors and waste.