This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Northern Powerhouse website

I came across the Government's 'Northern Powerhouse' website here and there's some interesting information on there about their initiatives that I wanted to share.

I've had a few questions about the Northern Powerhouse, so hopefully this page will be of interest. I'd love to know what everything thinks of the initiative - are they looking at the right activities? Could they be doing more?

http://northernpowerhouse.gov.uk/ 

• Geoffrey Theasby:

I think it's great! We here in the North have been complaining for years about being ignored. My only fear is that the plans will be scaled back or allowed to languish.  Better, bigger, faster railways esp. across the Pennines. Reopen Woodhead tunnel and upgrade the Hope Valley line. Get on with the Sheffield Tram-train, already late. Aggressively promote HS2, its not about getting to Birmingham, ultimately its about getting to Scotland. Build the Tintwhistle by-pass now! Extend and reopen Sheffield airport. The AMRC already attracts other similar  businesses. The Maltby solar panels scheme should be extended. Fill in the potholes! Get on with fracking. Make industrial investment easier, there is still a bias against the region. 
    That'll do for now.

Geoff Theasby

Thanks for your suggestions Geoff! You've got a bit of a travel theme running through your suggestions... do you think that's the main infastructure that's needed to help boost the North?

• Thanks Geoff, I agree with you on your points, trains especially. It's mad it takes so long to travel from one part of the country to the other!