This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Closure of the Teacher Building

According to an email sent out yesterday, the IET is closing its permanent base in Scotland with no prospect of a direct replacement.
  • Have to say it's a pretty poor decision and one that sends the wrong message about the IET's commitment to Scotland. My membership fees seem to be going up year-on-year but 95% of what the IET do seems to be based in London. I take it members in Scotland will be getting a discount as the IET have closed our base here. No? Didn't think so.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I have to agree. It look like it has suffered from poor marketing. I have been to Glasgow many times and wasn't aware of it's existence. Is there something in Edinburgh for IET members still as I am trying to arrange a presentation on Light rail in May. Perhaps somebody from the LN ecompassing Glasgow could contact me?
    It is a little of a shame but we can still organise on our side. We could have a decentralised Scottish office.

Gareth I am at Napier in Edinburgh we have the Transport Research Institute based at the University as well as courses related to it.

We have lectures theaters on the different campuses. Merchiston is close to one of the stations or Sighthill which is on the outskirts and Craiglockhart somewhere in between.

I could talk to some people there if it something you would envisaged?

Olivier.
  • The Teacher Building meaningfully "flew the flag" in Scotland, for the IET and engineering in general. I attended several events there and found the all-round experience to be equal with Savoy Place and Austin Court in its excellence. Event services organisations depend totally on their staff and management, and the team at the Teacher Building was clearly highly professional and well organised. In this respect, they operated behind the scenes to most of us, but they made an essential contribution in support of our professional activities. I'm sure many other people will feel similarly in this regard. So on behalf of the IEE/IET members and other people who have used and appreciated the Teacher Building over the last 26 years, I'd like to offer them our condolences and hopes that they will be able to move forward positively and find suitable alternative employment without delay.
    We hear about "false news" and "alternative truth", I suspect the stats leading to the propsed closure of the Teacher Building come under these headings. 

​I have attended many PRIs over the last few years at the Teacher Building and until very recently, as Hon. Sec. of the IET Scotland Manufacturing TPN , would have used the building for our regular meetings but for the excessive cost. A realistic discounted rate would have generated more LN and TPN meetings but it's a lot cheaper to go to a university or pub.

​I agree with Geoff,et al, we need a presence in Scotland to support our membership.
    Hi David and al,

As I mentioned before nothing says we can not organise ourselves. We have a good network of Universities and Colleges (Maybe even the Government/Parliament could give us a hand, it is in their best interest) who I believe would work with people wanting to organise events and offer access to facilities with students helping during such events. With a decentralised approach to organisation and secretarial tasks, it may prove to be more reactive and save some of the cost. Cut on the running costs and find support elsewhere.

Times can be critical but there are always two faces to a coin, to be beat or see the opportunity.

Olivier Chaligne:

It is a little of a shame but we can still organise on our side. We could have a decentralised Scottish office.

Gareth I am at Napier in Edinburgh we have the Transport Research Institute based at the University as well as courses related to it.

We have lectures theaters on the different campuses. Merchiston is close to one of the stations or Sighthill which is on the outskirts and Craiglockhart somewhere in between.

I could talk to some people there if it something you would envisaged?

Olivier.

Thanks Olivier. I was sort of giving up hope. I hadn't been contacted by IET Scotland or the LN and had to go through our representative for the Americas. I wasn't very sucessful despite numerous enquiries and I apologise for not getting back, as your response was drowned out by the matter being discussed in this thread. Could we connect on Linkedin and discuss matters on there please?    www.linkedin.com/.../

Hi Gareth,

No worries, we can discuss it through LinkedIn. Do not worry if my profile seems bare, I have just been introduced to the wonders of LinkedIn.

Olivier.

Robert Mansell:

Have to say it's a pretty poor decision and one that sends the wrong message about the IET's commitment to Scotland. My membership fees seem to be going up year-on-year but 95% of what the IET do seems to be based in London. I take it members in Scotland will be getting a discount as the IET have closed our base here. No? Didn't think so.

Robert Mansell‍ I've just reviewed the local network metrics from 16/17 and found that 44 events took place in London and 55 took place across the Scotland LNs, so I don't think your assessment is fair or accurate. I am interested to hear what influences your perspective.

That's 44 out of 1621 around the world. The LNs in Mersey, Coventry, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Western Australia were all busier than London. I do keep in mind that LN events are self-reported and that it's not the only measure of activity, but I hope that this helps contextualise things for you and will go some way to debunking the anti-Scotland narrative.

Extract of a conversation I had with Natalie Ann Boon:
    Natalie: Hi Olivier. We're working with all our IET members in Scotland to find suitable venues in the area for them to work and hold events at. Watch this space!

Olivier: Let's hope so, from discussing with a few professionals, there are a fair few disappointed people. A few of them are a little disappointed a grand majority of events are held midweek and in London so they cannot attend because of work commitments. And now, the Teacher building is being closed. Rumours are spreading, like wild fire, that the IET wants to stop its involvement and presence in Scotland.

Natalie: 
    Entirely untrue! Unfortunately Teacher Building is closing due to it's inability to deliver what is best for members and customers in Scotland, especially given the increase in provisions by other venues in Glasgow and around. This was also shown by the lack of members using the facilities. Beyond that, the building was unfortunately getting to a point where it was too costly to repair it to an acceptable standard for members.  :( If you do have any further questions, contact the Scottish Local Networks or communications@theiet.org and they'll be happy to help!

So I guess we have to wait and see. Although it is worth noting we are going in circles with communication LN to the IET re-routing to LN...

Olivier.