This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Does the IET allow volunteers to claim for senior rail cards?

In order to try and keep costs down with regards to expenses when travelling to interviews and training does the IET allow the cost of a senior rail card to be claimed. These cards are £30.00 per annum and can save over a third of the cost of rail travel.
  • I have heard grumblings from some that no .. they do not any more as the cards can be used for 'personal' benefit... the fact I cannot conceive of many a case where rail travel is not pretty well exclusively for  IET voluntary work appears lost.

I am not of an age to have a card, but have heard this grumbling for the last 2 or 3 years ... it is just illogical
  • If you can purchase the travel card at the same time as purchasing an IET travel rail ticket, at a lower cost than the ticket alone without the travel card, it would be a difficult case for the IET to refuse? To just purchase the card, I doubt the IET will see the "big picture".
  • Hello All,

Yes - we do.  As Alex points out, if the cost of the railcard is absorbed by any saving on a single ticket purchase then it is very easily justified.  However, it may also be accepted if you are making regular travel arrangements and the cost of the card will be recouped (and a saving made) across more than one claim.  The best thing is to talk to your staff contact to agree this, then they can annotate your claim when it comes through and it shouldn't be queried.

If you need any further guidance on this please let me know.

Regards,

Sandra

Head of Volunteer Support