This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Training Webinars for IET Local Network / Young Professional Network / OnCampus Network Volunteers

Hello

The IET offers various volunteer roles to its members. 

As a first step, a general volunteer induction training webinar is offered to all kind of volunteers plus infoware account is created regarding Data Protection and IET Policies awareness.

Then a specific online training webinar is also offered to some (not all) volunteer roles, like Professional Development Mentor, Professional Review Interviewer etc.  On the other side, I have noticed that no any such kind of training webinars are offered to Local Network or Young Professional Network or OnCampus Network Volunteers.

I would highly recommend that "Online Training Webinars for Network Volunteers" may also be designed and offered to each Network Volunteer Roles like Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Media Manager, Event Manager, Marketing Manager etc.  By getting such initial training, these volunteers can play a more effective role.  Moreover, a Training Certificate may also be provided to them.

Thank you.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Dear Sir,

I am interested to do volunteer for the same. 

Thanks and regards,

Rajesh
    Hello 

I am interested to do volunteer for the same.

Thanks and regards

Nihal Uthman
  • Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that the Volunteer Induction webinar is for those that are currently undertaking a volunteer role with us -  either new to IET volunteering or have been with us for a while and would like a refresher. 

If you are wanting to get involved in volunteering, please take a look around the the Why volunteer, Which volunteer role is right for you? and Volunteer roles on the Volunteer Hub and drop us a line on volunteer@theiet.org so that we can connect you to the right staff team.

Best wishes, Michelle

• Hi Michelle

Your advice is fruitful for Nihal and Rajesh but I was pointing out any other thing.  Can you re-read my last post, please. 

I know there is a lot of textual information available at the IET Volunteer Hub.  But still, there is a need to design an online Training Webinar for "Community Volunteers" specific for their roles.  For example, if an IET Member join the IET Local Network or any other Network as Treasurer.  First of all, he or she would participate in the "IET Volunteer Induction Training Webinar" which is a general in nature.  Then what?  Nothing.   In fact, he or she would need another "Training Webinar" oriented for his or her specific role, i.e. Treasurer.

The IET Engineering Communities Staff may design various online Training Webinars for various Engineering Community Volunteer Roles, like Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Event Manager, Community Manager etc.

This time, I am also looking for a response from the IET Engineering Communities Staff for my above mentioned suggestion.  Thank you.

• Certainly the role of Treasurer needs very specific training, and a new Secretary would benefit from an introduction to the quagmire of IET online tools.
  • Hi Alex

Thank you for understanding my point of view.

The outcome of my point would be the offering of "Online Training Webinars" by the IET Engineering Communities Staff (Trainer).
  • Hi Nouman Abid Chuhan‍ 

There is already lots of training available for LN volunteers (Treasurer training, Event calendar training etc ) I would strongly recommend that you or any volunteer who would like training/guidance on how to perform your volunteer role to contact your IET staff contact who can give you some guidance and arrange training for you. Different types of volunteers have different IET staff contacts but for the Local Networks it will be either your Local Network Manager or your Community Manager depending on which Local Network you volunteer for.

Hope that helps?

Lisa
    Hello 

Thank you all for clarifying this to me.

I appreciate all your good response and clarification.

I recently joined the IET and wish to be an active member and developer of the IET in the near future.

Thank you 

Nihal Uthman
  • Hi Lisa Miles‍ 

Can you read my previous post on Mar 5, 2019, 7:53 am, please.

It is appreciated that the IET has provided the Training Resources to "Community Volunteers" at https://www.theiet.org/involved/volunteering-for-the-iet/volunteer-hub/resources/.  But all these are in texts/pdf etc. form.

My point is that as "General Volunteer Induction Webinar" (which is for all kind of Volunteers including Community Volunteers) is offered time to time both for new inductees and refreshers, in spite of above-mentioned Training Resources and furthermore there are "Specific Webinars" for Professional Registration Volunteers and Professional Development Volunteers etc., likewise there should be "Specific Webinars" for "Community Volunteers" which will set the direction and orient the Community Volunteers to perform their roles.  Whilst the above-mentioned available Resources are only the supporting material.

Hope, I have conveyed my point.  Looking forward to response either from you and/or the Communities Team and/or the Volunteer Team.  Thank you.

• Hi Nouman Abid Chuhan‍ 

It's not my area of expertise. ? It's something you'll need to discuss with your IET Community Manager to take forward.

Lisa