This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Re. "Volunteer Induction - What An Enjoyable Way To Spend A Friday …" blog post

Did we miss an invitation to this?
  • Hi Alex, the Volunteer Induction Day is available to sign-up for on the Volunteer Gateway - the Induction page can be found here: http://www.theiet.org/volunteers/active/training/induction.cfm

Best regards

Michelle
  • Hi Alex Barrett‍ 

The volunteer induction day is primarily aimed at 'new' volunteers to introduce them to the staff team at Michael Faraday House (MFH) and for them to gain an understanding of the breadth of activity goes on here. As you have already been a volunteer for many years now, you would not have received a 'personal' invitation to attend this specific event. 

If you would like to visit or arrange a meeting to talk with specific members of staff at MFH please discuss with your Staff contact (i.e. your Community Manager) who can help in arranging this. 

Lisa
  • Lisa,

As a network secretary for longer than I care to remember, I would like to be made aware of these so I can offer these to any new volunteers. If I'm unaware of them, I doubt they are going to discover them.
  • Hi Alex, all new IET volunteers receive a welcome email from the IET, which includes pointers to the support/resources to help get them started in their role and support them through their volunteering experience.  One particular area of the Volunteer Gateway that we promote in the welcome email is 'Support for Volunteers' - if you would like to take a look around these pages and share the content with your new volunteers, that would be great too: http://www.theiet.org/volunteers/active/talent-support/index.cfm?origin=active-landing

Thanks, Michelle
  • I don't recall whether I received a welcome email; how does the IET know when a new "volunteer" is born? Are you aware of the volunteers in my local network?

In some ways it would be good if we had a process for identifying and training new volunteers, but on the other hand we don't want to overwhelm and frighten them off. Most volunteers tend to sit on the sidelines of committee meetings for a while until they get their bearings. We should probably have a welcome package that we can offer to new volunteers, which would help to bring them up to speed, including training sessions for those who are interested.

P.S. (When will we get a spell-checker that recognises "IET"?)
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Alex - for new volunteers you can provide a link to the Volunteer Handbook which should bring them up to speed. If you want a printed copy then you can order these from the Marketing Toolkit.

If you require a training session for new volunteers then please contact your Local Network Manager to arrange this.

Perhaps once you feel that a new volunteer is ready for all this, you can help them to access the Handbook and training. Equally there are training videos for each of the LN volunteer tools which could be more convenient.

• Steve, I was puzzled by Michelle's assertion "all new IET volunteers receive a welcome email from the IET". Even I'm not sure who of our local network contacts I'd consider an active volunteer.

I'm casting my mind way back to when I became involved in the local network, and what sort of information and training would have helped me. To be honest, we need to pack our whole committee off to training camp for a thorough workshop on our tools and processes.
  • I've just dipped into Career Manager, after watching an IET/Texas Instruments webinar. I think we all need a run through on recording and reporting CPD.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Alex - the welcome email may not have existed when you first became a volunteer.

Every volunteer probably requires something different and at different times so its difficult to have a 'one size fits all' approach to inducting and training LN volunteers. As ever though your best bet is to talk to your LN Manager about the volunteer's who do need some help and they can tailor the training.

The volunteers we have on file for LNs are usually the LN committee. We rely on people like LN secretaries to let us know when new committee members come on board. When these people are entered into our database as a 'volunteer' this will then trigger the welcome email that Michelle mentioned.

• Alex Barrett:

I've just dipped into Career Manager, after watching an IET/Texas Instruments webinar. I think we all need a run through on recording and reporting CPD. 

Sorry for the delay in a response, Alex, I only dip into the Volunteers community every now and then - you may already have found the answer, but I thought it would be worth responding for anyone else reading this thread.

There is a webinar available for all members that explains CPD recording and another for how to submit a CPD declaration.  These are available at: www.theiet.org/CM-Training.  These are free to attend, available any time and explain the process in detail.  There are also quick guides available for those that prefer to learn by reading rather than watching a video. 

There is also a lifeskill session in the portfolio that can be booked for CPD and these can be run by the local networks as they see fit.  Any local network volunteers who are interested in booking this lifeskill should speak to the relevant LN Manager or contact the Lifeskills team at: LSBookings@theiet.org or call 01438765616.