This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cultural dimensions in IET volunteering

Diversity and inclusion is a hot topic at the moment – not just here at the IET but in many guises around the world – but in one very specific sense I’ve been wondering how well we take account of cultural dimensions in the way we engage with volunteers.

In doing some research I was pointed to information on a model of cultural dimensions created by Hofstede: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_66.htm

It made we wonder if the volunteering practices here at the IET are biased towards particular cultural norms that exclude, or make volunteering less inviting, for others?  For example, does the fact that our governance is structured around formal committees – and with positions accessed via election – create a barrier for some people? 

Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?  Of course, if you’re reading this then the answer for you would be ‘no’!  However, I wonder what your colleagues would say?

Can anyone help me out by sharing their thoughts on whether there are cultural dimensions to volunteering that we could consider in trying to make the IET more diverse and inclusive?

Thanks for any input you can share,

Sandra
  • It pays to understand cultural dimensions. However it is dangerous to rely on stereo typing people accordingly.

EC could be a minefield for some but I believe it is possible to encourage the less courageous ones to participate.

There is a need to have a large tolerance for views expressed. The langauge that we use to those whose native language is different can be a cause of serious misunderstanding.

It is never easy to convey our views precisely in words.

Volunteers need to know and understand the envronment they are participating in. Correct and easy to understand information is necessary and to be easily accessed.

Generally it is easier for the East to understand the West. It can be dedatable as well.

Regards

Chris Chew

• I think that there are many aspects to what inspires some to volunteer and puts others off. Whilst some things might have a cultural aspect, there are many other traits that will vary between those in the same country, office or even family. Personality, confidence, experience, responsibilities and preferences will all play a large role too.

Some introverts may be less likely to volunteer for speaking engagements than perhaps extroverts may be, but might be more likely to volunteer to write articles. Some dyslexic people may be less likely to volunteer for writing articles but might be more keen to volunteer for physical demonstrations of tasks. Some parents may be less likely to volunteer for evening events if they have childcare duties, but may be more likely to volunteer for their child's school's STEM events.

It is important to have diversity amongst volunteers, but it should be remembered that certain types of activity might be more likely to attract certain types of people. What I think is important is to ensure that all of the different volunteering opportunities available are communicated to all members in all locations and that there are enough opportunities to cover all personality types and skill-sets. Committee work, speaker opportunities, writing/reviewing opportunities, mentoring, school outreach tasks, demonstrations, conference attendance, or the behind the scenes organising of networking events and any other volunteering opportunities should all be seen as equally valid contributions to the success of the industry.

Re: Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?

Yes, some people may not feel comfortable sharing their views in public spaces, but as Chris states, the solution is to encourage the less courageous, rather than limit the bold. EC is something of a microcosm, and as in any section of life, there will be people that you agree with and people you don't. It is part of life, and something everyone has to learn to deal with, regardless of where in the world they may be. Learning to state your own views in a diplomatic way is also a life-skill (and one that everyone gets wrong every now and then). If there is anything posted that borders on offensive, you just have to hope that that people will give you the benefit of the doubt and appreciate that nuance or sarcasm or tone can sometimes be lost in the written word and (unless obvious insults have been traded) that no harm was intended.
  • Sandra has initiated a very very interesting discussion here.  Its been very touchy for me.   The views/comments of Chris and Amber are also impressive.

Well!  The web link referred by Sandra is self explanatory and explains in a generic manner.  I am not a Psychologist but as an IET Volunteer, i would love to take part in this discussion.  I think the IET is not only a multi-disciplinary professional institution but also a multi-national, hence, multi-cultural.  Any kind of org majorly depends on the communication.  As an international organization, the IET uses the British English Language which is not the first language of most of the Nations included in the family of the IET.  The IET Volunteers from all nations are the managerial part of the IET.  Hence, when they communicate with each other e.g. to the IET-UK H/Qs with the IET-Staff or higher tier Committees, most of the time, things are mis-interpreted.  Some time causes huge loss e.g. the Volunteers left their positions or even left the IET etc..

Beside the language, the Culture puts a great impact.  Let me share a real story of mine.  I am a citizen of Pakistan, hence, have the Pakistani Culture.  I went to Saudi Arabia for employment in a multi-national German Company.  In this company, as per my knowledge, more then 10 Nationalities were working.  Once, due to some reason, my immidiate saudi boss said me the word "stupid".  I seriously minded because of my culture and complained.  My Project Manager was German, he called me to discuss, i explained.  Then he said, the word "stupid" is a normal word.   wink    So besides the language,  culture matters.  Pakistani, Saudi and German interpreted the same word differently.

Another aspect is:  IET-UK has Networks in India and Pakistan.  All the world knows the relationship of India and Pakistan.  IET-UK has its South Asia Region.  India had been ignoring and suppressing the Pakistan for IET related matters as far as Pakistan been the part of the South Asia Region.  The IET-UK could not manage it.  Finally Pakistan was attached with the EMEA Region.  All this affected the IET Volunteering at Pakistan whereas India progressed.  I mean to say that the IET-UK could understand this dimension at an early stage but now it is too late.

The purchase power of some countries where the IET exists, is very less.  So Volunteering does not matter to the citizens of such kind of countries because obviously they are putting their energies to earn enough money to fulfill their day to day essential needs.  The IET volunteering will also be affected until and unless the IET gives some financial incentives to do the volunteering.

So i would suggest that if the IET-UK is really serious on the subject matter, then at first, they should give trainings to all the IET-UK Staff, then the Volunteers, on this very very important issue.  I also suggest the IET-UK may make it essential for each and every non-british Local Network to conduct the English Language and Communication Skills Courses based on the British Culture/Society, at least two times a year, for every volunteer.  We, the volunteers, have to learn the cultures of each other.

Sandra, i am sure, by doing so, the IET Volunteering will be rised.

Thank you.

• Some really interesting points Nouman.

Regarding your experience with the Saudi boss/German PM... I would also have taken offence in that situation. "Stupid" might be a "normal" word, but I don't think there is a language in the world in which "stupid" can be interpreted as a compliment! I find it irritating that the situation was turned around to make it your problem for over-reacting, rather than the insulting behaviour being challenged as unacceptable. I have worked at previous jobs in which completely unacceptable language and behaviour was carried out (eg. men superimposing female colleagues' faces onto inappropriate pictures) and women who found it objectionable were made to feel like they were over-reacting because the behaviour was so normalised in the office ("It's just a bit of fun", "they don't mean any harm by it", "it's just banter", "everyone does it", "we've always done it", "can't you take a joke?", etc.). Regardless of whether a word or deed is "normal" for the office, if it causes offence, then the company has a responsibility to address it properly (or what is to stop it happening again or to stop the offended party leaving that environment/company and thus reducing the diversity further and making it harder for those who remain to stand up?). It is always difficult to stand up and call out unacceptable behaviour, particularly if you are in a minority (in terms of nationality, gender, age, race, religion, length of service or anything else.) so well done to you for doing so.

Interesting point also about financial incentives, although I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement given not just the amount of money required, but the exchange rates, tax codes, tax returns, and the amount of time required to manage and process so many payments. Are there any non-financial incentives that you think would be valuable?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You'll probably be pleased to know that IET staff have mandatory cultural awareness training.
  • Dear Sandra

Thank you initiating this post/discussion.

​A very broad and at the same time “politically” sensitive one that people tend not to discuss; at least publicly and more especially on an on-line community.

Just make the discussion lighter, I am sure most of have seen the below screenshot:
    df8ca5f17c18ecd8137cd94aed529618-huge-photo.png

Having worked abroad and being a non-native speaker indeed causes some barriers and difficulties. But accepting the fact that you are a member of a larger organisation that has already been there before you and will be there after you, makes you adapt.

The most thing and the one that I think everybody needs to have in mind is that: You need to respect each individual as well as respect the organisation/team and that is the perfect balance that we need to strike.

I believe the IET is very diverse and inclusive and as always there is room for improvement. Steps have been taken and will be taken going forward.

The fact that all IET staff have mandatory cultural awareness training, shows the dedication the IET has put into understating its member worldwide.

This topic is quite hot and that is why the President has made it as one if his four themes. 

I am currently supporting the President in his theme “Diversity and Inclusivity” and I am sure that opinions will differ but this “disagreement” is the one that made the IET progress all these years.

Best regards

Alkis

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Alkis,

Many thanks for (en)lightening our day.  Humour is always appreciated, and your poster is excellent.

Overall what is the objective or desired outcome from this discussion and the parallel one Iwithin Council) on the President's Theme?  Are we setting up a task force to review our policies?    Or are we just exploing the boundaries as Sandra suggests to see what is feasible and see whether our current policies and cultural sensitivities need attention? 

Frank.
  • Frank

Thank you for this.

If I may reply on what I think Sandra wanted to do when started this discussion with a broader and global audience on their thoughts on the subject.

I think, again, that what is shared here will be taken into account/filtered so as to offer extra input for the President’s theme.

Thank you

Alkis